+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 28 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast

Thread: Susan's Wikipedia Page

Thanks
    Thanked 1,068 Times in 22 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by patriciasart View Post
    It would be nice to see a current photo too. I agree the whole page needs to be redone. I don't like it either.
    OK!! Now who's up to the job??
    Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we're here we might as well dance!

A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort

"The way of life go further, so not stay in the "anteroom"! Life is beautiful, but short" Jana Hamtilova

Thanks
    Thanked 1,526 Times in 37 Posts

Question How Wikipedia Works

Quote Originally Posted by Brooklyn Blessings View Post
    Anyone, including you personally or any other enterprising member of this forum, can register to be an editor on Wikipedia! Registration gives you instantaneous ability to go in and correct/delete/add anything! If the original author doesn't like it, he may go back in and change things, but you can always do likewise, etc. (This happens a lot on politicians' Wikipedia pages during campaign season!)
    That's interesting. I did not know that the original author had control over the article. I thought information was submitted to the web site and they posted it. I guess individuals really do have the power to change anything. So, influence of the original author is dependent on how closely s/he watches the article. I suppose everyone has equal power if anyone can change the articles. I thought changes had to be approved by "the powers that be" before posting, but if there are no "powers that be," then does no one check the accuracy of the facts with the documented sources? And are there rules for what constitutes legitimate sources??

Thank you, Brooklyn Blessings for this information.

East of Baltimore, West of the Chesapeake
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,165 Times in 24 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by KateOHio View Post
    I posted this in July -- and now that MTV has dredged up and quoted a lot of this in their MTV News' # 8 "Women of the Year" I thought I would ask again!! I use wiki a lot and would hope any newbie looking for info would get a better, truer impression of Susan.
    The problem with Susan's Wiki page is that it is in semi-protection status so that most users cannot change data on it. In a way this is good as it prevents malicious people from vandalizing her page by adding things that might be vulgar or untrue. However, it also keeps people who wish to edit, add or correct information from doing so.

The only way to get things corrected is by going onto the page's talkback section and making a request to the people who seem to have appointed themselves editors. They're an arrogant bunch so it's hard to get through to them. I did manage to use that option in order to get Susan's birth date and full name listed correctly, although one of the overlords later went in and changed her proper middle name Magdalen to Magdalane for some reason. And of course all of the pseudo-sociological pop psych twaddle remains. I would try to do more but I lost my former password and can't log in under my established Wiki username to make edits.

Sassyone

Quote Originally Posted by patriciasart View Post
    It would be nice to see a current photo too. I agree the whole page needs to be redone. I don't like it either.
    Wiki has to use royalty free photos.

Thanks

Question Questions

Quote Originally Posted by xeno View Post
    The problem with Susan's Wiki page is that it is in semi-protection status so that most users cannot change data on it. In a way this is good as it prevents malicious people from vandalizing her page by adding things that might be vulgar or untrue. However, it also keeps people who wish to edit, add or correct information from doing so.

The only way to get things corrected is by going onto the page's talkback section and making a request to the people who seem to have appointed themselves editors. They're an arrogant bunch so it's hard to get through to them. I did manage to use that option in order to get Susan's birth date and full name listed correctly, although one of the overlords later went in and changed her proper middle name Magdalen to Magdalane for some reason. And of course all of the pseudo-sociological pop psych twaddle remains. I would try to do more but I lost my former password and can't log in under my established Wiki username to make edits.
    Hi, xeno ~ So, how does a page attain semi-protection status? Does this only apply to some of their pages? And where is the talkback section? Do you have to be logged in to access it? Can you not get a new password?

Thanks
    Thanked 14,968 Times in 385 Posts

I can edit

write down what you want to replace and the corrected version and I'll see what I can do to cut and paste it in. Remember and provide sources.

Susan Boyle - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

patriciasart

Quote Originally Posted by KateOHio View Post
    OK!! Now who's up to the job??
    I tried registering last summer when this first came up ,I was hoping to change the picture,but ran into a stone wall.
    I tried sending in a suggestion but never heard back from anyone or saw any changes.
    Last edited by patriciasart; 12-15-2009 at 12:12 AM.

East of Baltimore, West of the Chesapeake
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,165 Times in 24 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by musictchr View Post
    Hi, xeno ~ So, how does a page attain semi-protection status? Does this only go for some of their pages? And where is the talkback section? Do you have to be logged in to access it? Can you not get a new password?

Hi, musictchr. Pages become semi-protected when there is controversy about the subject, there are current events involved or there are many attempts made to edit the page in malicious or libelous ways. I suspect that in Susan's case the latter is what happened. We know all too well that trolls are attracted to websites devoted to Susan by the dozens as we've encountered them here. These same types may have descended on her Wiki page, forcing the editors to lock it down.

When I referred to the "talkback" page, I should have said the "discussion" page instead. The section on semi-protection called it the "talk" page and I then made an error when writing about it here. Anyone can read the discussion page, but only registered users can post items on it. One particular person called "Sameboat" seems to have set him/herself up as the overseer of Susan's page and is calling the shots there. Another called "SunCreator" also edits a bit and they argue back and forth on the discussion page about what they will include. There are Wikipedia standards that these people claim to be applying, but they still get a lot of information wrong. They also use information from news articles as if it is verified fact when we know very well that much of what has been published about Susan is riddled with inaccuracies.

I should get back to editing The Simpsons' Wiki pages so that I can build up some Wiki cred. Then I'll eventually be able to edit Susan's page, though I'll probably have to fight the two an*l retentives who've appointed themselves rulers there to get anything done.

Thanks

Question Discussion Pages

Hi, musictchr.
    When I referred to the "talkback" page, I should have said the "discussion" page instead. The section on semi-protection called it the "talk" page and I then made an error when writing about it here. Anyone can read the discussion page, but only registered users can post items on it.
    Hi, xeno ~ Thank you for answering my questions. Where do you access the discussion page(s)?

Thanks

Hi Regarding her middle name, if I'm not mistaken in an interview with Gerry Boyle awhile back he said Magdalane is her middle name and he spelled it. It was the interview when people could send in their questions to him. Just thought I'd pass that on and that perhaps that's why they went in and changed it.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 28 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast