Closed Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Susan - Somewhere Over The Rainbow

I have never heard anyone sing SWOTR like Eva did until Susan sang it that same way. Has anyone else ever heard that particular "version" sung by anyone else? I always felt Susan did copy Eva's style of singing it - very much so.

Here is Eva singing it on another occasion. I really like her and Susan's rendition of it very much.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2rd8VktT8xY
    Last edited by MollBobbers; 01-27-2015 at 07:44 PM.
    http://gratefulness.org/light-a-candle

"No act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted." Aesop

Not looking for an argument, but from the first time I heard Israel "Iz" Kamakawiwo'ole, the late Hawaiian musician icon, sing Somewhere Over the Rainbow, I have been in love. He makes the song feel like pure happiness. Just an opinion.

http://youtu.be/w_DKWlrA24k

Quote Originally Posted by mamabear View Post
    Not looking for an argument, but from the first time I heard Israel "Iz" Kamakawiwo'ole, the late Hawaiian musician icon, sing Somewhere Over the Rainbow, I have been in love. He makes the song feel like pure happiness. Just an opinion.

http://youtu.be/w_DKWlrA24k
    No argument from me, mamabear. We're all entitled to express what we like and dislike. That is a personal taste.

I too love Israel K's sunny and light-hearted version of SOTR. He was a genius with style, the ukelele, and his wonderful Hawaiian tenor.

I think it's well known that Eva Cassidy created a unique arrangement of SOTR, that stood on its own for quite a while. Susan choosing to sing that version was proof to me of her familiarity with Eva's music and her great admiration for the young woman. Eva also recorded Imagine and Bridge over Troubled Waters, and many many many other songs in her short career.

Bass Ackwards (One trick “Dog & Pony” town)

I'm stepping in to clarify this before it gets into more negative territory of misunderstanding.

I think the "follow-up" comments are a little bit misunderstood in that they think the "previous" comments were attacking and comparing the quality, giftedness and beauty of Eva's singing. I don't think that anyone thought that of Eva, just the opposite.

Also to clarify the "previous" comments: they were derived as a result of being attacked on YouTube over and over again on Susan's own video. This was by a former fan member who directed her attacks at Susan and fan members commenting when there was no basis for it.
    Last edited by DungenessKay; 01-26-2015 at 02:50 PM.
    Sometimes you have to use the other tools in the toolbox to get the job done...Work it girl!
    ~ ~ ~

I have always believed when a singer covers the song of another it is a compliment, and should be considered as such.

Bass Ackwards (One trick “Dog & Pony” town)

Quote Originally Posted by soothed View Post
    I have always believed when a singer covers the song of another it is a compliment, and should be considered as such.
    That's it soothed, well said! I agree, a singer wouldn't sing something that they didn't have an appreciation for, such as, the talent, musical arrangement, meaning of the lyrics, and other factors that drawn them to cover a song.

I would think it would be a huge compliment to the writers, artists, arrangers, etc. to cover their song, not to mention it opens newer audience's eyes to past artistry.
    Sometimes you have to use the other tools in the toolbox to get the job done...Work it girl!
    ~ ~ ~

Quote Originally Posted by JoanneK View Post
    I too love Israel K's sunny and light-hearted version of SOTR. He was a genius with style, the ukelele, and his wonderful Hawaiian tenor.

I think it's well known that Eva Cassidy created a unique arrangement of SOTR, that stood on its own for quite a while. Susan choosing to sing that version was proof to me of her familiarity with Eva's music and her great admiration for the young woman. Eva also recorded Imagine and Bridge over Troubled Waters, and many many many other songs in her short career.
    I think you are very correct here, Joanne. Here is some information on Eva from Wikipedia. To be honest, I had never even heard of her before someone posted a video of her here on this site. I really liked all her works on Youtube and I made a CD of them.

"Eva Marie Cassidy (February 2, 1963 – November 2, 1996) was an American vocalist and guitarist known for her interpretations of jazz, blues, folk, gospel, country, rock and pop classics. In 1992, she released her first album, The Other Side, a set of duets with go-go musician Chuck Brown, followed by the 1996 live solo album entitled Live at Blues Alley. Although she had been honored by the Washington Area Music Association, she was virtually unknown outside her native Washington DC, when she died of melanoma in 1996.
    Four years later, Cassidy's music was brought to the attention of British audiences when her versions of "Fields of Gold" and "Over the Rainbow" were played by Mike Harding and Terry Wogan on BBC Radio 2. Following the overwhelming response, a camcorder recording of "Over the Rainbow", taken at Blues Alley in Washington by her friend Bryan McCulley, was shown on BBC Two's Top of the Pops 2. Shortly afterwards, the compilation album Songbird climbed to the top of the UK Albums Charts, almost three years after its initial release. The chart success in the United Kingdom and Ireland led to increased recognition worldwide; her posthumously released recordings, including three UK number 1 records, have sold more than ten million copies.[1] Her music has also charted top 10 positions in Australia, Germany, Sweden, Norway and Switzerland.[2]"

Eva's version of SOTR was considered her signature song and as a consequence she became noticed singing the song in a slow tempo, many believed Eva was the originator of singing SOTR.

In 1978 when Shirley Bassey performed in Aus, she sang SOTR. It was the slow tempo version. She starts the song at 1.31.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w-JrieP4zVE

Quote Originally Posted by DungenessKay View Post
    That's it soothed, well said! I agree, a singer wouldn't sing something that they didn't have an appreciation for, such as, the talent, musical arrangement, meaning of the lyrics, and other factors that drawn them to cover a song.

I would think it would be a huge compliment to the writers, artists, arrangers, etc. to cover their song, not to mention it opens newer audience's eyes to past artistry.
    I totally agree with you both
    "

Caveat: All opinions expressed are in my humble opinion unless stated otherwise.

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast