+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4

Thread: Susan Sings Paper Roses

Thanks
    Thanked 1,985 Times in 34 Posts

MJ, yes, in her autobiography, right at the end of Chapter 17, Susan wrote:
    “I didn’t get on to television with my audition for My Kind of People, but it was very fortunate that I went along to the show, because it was there that I got talking to a very accomplished singer called Trina Reid. She told me about a singing teacher she went to, Fred O’Neil, and she gave me his telephone number.”

Thanks

Thanks, northview. I don't remember reading that. At least something good came out of her appearing on that show. I could barely stand to watch the video of Susan as Michael Barrymore was so obnoxious toward Susan, even in the little clip after the show.
    http://gratefulness.org/light-a-candle

"No act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted." Aesop

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by JudyMcKinn View Post
    I don't know. Her mother and other family & friends, like Lorraine, were always there, but she didn't hit it big until BGT. Also, what IS a "professional singer"?? A successful singer, who has fans who will come to her performances and buy her records.? And she didn't have that till BGT, either. I don't think there is any way BGT can be belittled, as Susan got nowhere till she appeared there, and she was 47/48 by that time.
    Not trying to argue--just giving my opinion. IN MY OPINION ONLY, I think we owe a lot to BGT and Simon.
    In SPADES, Judy. Susan tried to get herself a singing career, performing everywhere she could find an audience, for years. None of her family or neighbors helped her, probably because the village had written her off for years as "damaged". Or as one villager interviewed on French TV said, "She was the village idiot who could sing" Lorraine may have been a casual acquaintance in the neighborhood but was not really close to Susan until she volunteered to go down to London and be her companion during BGT and has never claimed otherwise.

Susan's success is due to 4 things : her own determination, guts and talent, Simon Cowell, creating a successful TV talent show in the UK, and Youtube and Twitter, which almost instantly spread the word WW. That all these things should come together for Susan and launch her just before CDs sales would fall off the cliff seems spookily fated.

Thanks

I think you've state the case very realistically, Judy and trennie.
    http://gratefulness.org/light-a-candle

"No act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted." Aesop

Thanks

I don't think I can pick up on any disagreement here but seems there is that feeling. Nothing "made" Susan who she "is" except her own "stuff" and that thankfully held tough. BGT and Simon certainly were her ticket to stardom. We know next to nothing of what people tried to do to encourage her singing. She has mentioned a number of times that she was told by locals that she "had to do something with her singing." Easy words, but no money to set her up I'd expect. BGT was a miracle breakthrough and I am so thankful for it and Simon and Fred and all who have surrounded her with encouragement to let her come to an acceptance herself of who she is and what she can do. No argument whatsoever.

We cringe at the horrible bullying stories but more and more Susan mentions the friends and neighbors by whom she has says she has always been accepted and feels safe. And they treat her like a friend and not a celebrity, allowing her to enjoy her life. Oh, how many performers must be envious. Just her determination to stay on Yule Terrace says a whole bunch to me that makes me happy.
    Last edited by Ponylady; 01-20-2015 at 04:27 PM.
    "To love a person is to know the song in their heart & sing it to them when they've forgotten."
    They come, they come, to build a wall between us...we know they won't win." Don't dream it's over.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,636 Times in 33 Posts

It's my understanding that Susan and Lorraine went to school together. In an interview somewhere, Lorraine talked about how Susan was bullied at school. It was her mum who suggested she go on BGT but, that took a while as, as Susan stated she was mourning for her mum (paraphrasing). When she did audition and sang IDAD, the world was gobsmacked by the amazing voice. Can't remember, which brother perhaps, Gerry or another sibling, made light of her going for the audition. I think it's in the book somewhere. Anyway, she auditioned. And, everyone including the ratbags in her home town sat up and took notice. Her true friends and siblings supported her and continue to support her today. She amazes me that she has done what she has done and achieved so much. As Trennie said, "Susan's success is due to 4 things : her own determination, guts and talent, Simon Cowell, creating a successful TV talent show in the UK, and Youtube and Twitter, which almost instantly spread the word WW." Agree 100%. IDAD was the perfect song as was Memory.

MJ many thanks for the link. I notice this person has also done this duet style with songs Susan has covered by other artists.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4