+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 36

Thread: Susan Sings Paper Roses

  1. #21
    Susan Fan Marie Jean's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    16,813

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by yvbliss View Post
    I noticed on Paper Roses and Fame that Susan sang pretty much in one range all the way through the song. They were very good but not spectacular enough to win apparently. I wonder if she could have made the impact she did on BGT if she had not selected a song that required her to demonstrate the amazing range of her voice along with its power. It's history now but it makes me wonder if she would have been discovered sooner using a different repertoire. Glad she wasn't, though. She is right where she should be and was discovered at just the perfect time in her life.
    One other aspect I would add is the EMOTION she put into IDAD. I was singing it today ( am glad no one was around - LOL) and thought, "I don't think I've ever heard a song sung by anyone that had such powerful emotion in it - including opera stars." I know she has refined her vibrato, but I think it did add a great deal to the emotion at that moment. I would say the same for when she sang Memory - most especially when she sang "Touch me." That sent chills up my back, for sure. Here is a video of both Susan and Barbra singing it.

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZpLPxb-PZEY
    http://gratefulness.org/light-a-candle

    "No act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted." Aesop

  2. #22
    Susan Fan JudyMcKinn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Southwest Missouri, USA
    Posts
    12,995

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by yvbliss View Post
    I noticed on Paper Roses and Fame that Susan sang pretty much in one range all the way through the song. They were very good but not spectacular enough to win apparently. I wonder if she could have made the impact she did on BGT if she had not selected a song that required her to demonstrate the amazing range of her voice along with its power. It's history now but it makes me wonder if she would have been discovered sooner using a different repertoire. Glad she wasn't, though. She is right where she should be and was discovered at just the perfect time in her life.
    I think all who said about the emotion and power that is in IDAD was a great choice for Susan, and probably won for her. Well, 2nd place, but she actually did WIN it, didn't she? But per what I bolded above--she had never sung in a contest that could have taken her anywhere, before, either, I don't think. BGT went all over, and YouTube was just going good, and that all helped get her all over the world at once. The little contests she entered before---do we know that the winners of any of them became famous? I don't think they had the ....backing, or whatever you call it, to make someone famous. JMHO.
    "Dear Father hear and bless thy beasts and singing birds, and guard with tenderness small things that have no words."

  3. #23
    Susan Fan Ponylady's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Near Chicago, IL, USA
    Posts
    17,331

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JudyMcKinn View Post
    I think all who said about the emotion and power that is in IDAD was a great choice for Susan, and probably won for her. Well, 2nd place, but she actually did WIN it, didn't she? But per what I bolded above--she had never sung in a contest that could have taken her anywhere, before, either, I don't think. BGT went all over, and YouTube was just going good, and that all helped get her all over the world at once. The little contests she entered before---do we know that the winners of any of them became famous? I don't think they had the ....backing, or whatever you call it, to make someone famous. JMHO.
    All true IMHO but Susan had no intention of being "famous." Some talent show wins would just look good on her resume' should she find a place to apply as a "professional singer." I agree with the comment above and am also glad she didn't find some small success and never have been presented to the world.

    I think it was Revel who posted some time ago that it was not that Susan was in the "right place at the right time." She was the right PERSON. The person Susan is, has been and continues to be with all the inner strength and good values and upbringing. I give more thanks to her mother and other family and friends like Lorraine than to BGT. They gave her the freedom to believe in herself and that sure paid off for us!
    "To love a person is to know the song in their heart & sing it to them when they've forgotten."
    They come, they come, to build a wall between us...we know they won't win." Don't dream it's over.


  4. #24
    Susan Fan trennie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    33,042

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JudyMcKinn View Post
    I think all who said about the emotion and power that is in IDAD was a great choice for Susan, and probably won for her. Well, 2nd place, but she actually did WIN it, didn't she? But per what I bolded above--she had never sung in a contest that could have taken her anywhere, before, either, I don't think. BGT went all over, and YouTube was just going good, and that all helped get her all over the world at once. The little contests she entered before---do we know that the winners of any of them became famous? I don't think they had the ....backing, or whatever you call it, to make someone famous. JMHO.
    Certainly, Paper Roses and maybe, Fame, was before Susan had had any voice lessons. I don't think she had any idea of what her voice could do. It's always struck me as strange that her musical parents didn't seem to have any idea of her exceptional talent until she was in her late 30's and encouraged or paid for her voice lessons.

  5. #25
    Susan Fan yvbliss's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    In the desert near Palm Springs
    Posts
    312

    Default

    Great discussion and I think we all agree with the statement that she was in the right place at the right time and with the right people around her. She was ready and the world was ready. It's amazing how the universe seems to work if we let it.
    Vickie

  6. #26
    Susan Fan Revel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    San Diego, CA
    Posts
    2,578

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by yvbliss View Post
    Great discussion and I think we all agree with the statement that she was in the right place at the right time and with the right people around her. She was ready and the world was ready. It's amazing how the universe seems to work if we let it.
    "Chance favors only the prepared mind."--Louis Pasteur
    In this case, also the prepared voice!

  7. #27
    Susan Fan JudyMcKinn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Southwest Missouri, USA
    Posts
    12,995

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ponylady View Post
    All true IMHO but Susan had no intention of being "famous." Some talent show wins would just look good on her resume' should she find a place to apply as a "professional singer." I agree with the comment above and am also glad she didn't find some small success and never have been presented to the world.

    I think it was Revel who posted some time ago that it was not that Susan was in the "right place at the right time." She was the right PERSON. The person Susan is, has been and continues to be with all the inner strength and good values and upbringing. I give more thanks to her mother and other family and friends like Lorraine than to BGT. They gave her the freedom to believe in herself and that sure paid off for us!
    I don't know. Her mother and other family & friends, like Lorraine, were always there, but she didn't hit it big until BGT. Also, what IS a "professional singer"?? A successful singer, who has fans who will come to her performances and buy her records.? And she didn't have that till BGT, either. I don't think there is any way BGT can be belittled, as Susan got nowhere till she appeared there, and she was 47/48 by that time.
    Not trying to argue--just giving my opinion. IN MY OPINION ONLY, I think we owe a lot to BGT and Simon.
    "Dear Father hear and bless thy beasts and singing birds, and guard with tenderness small things that have no words."

  8. #28
    Susan Fan Revel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    San Diego, CA
    Posts
    2,578

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JudyMcKinn View Post
    I don't know. Her mother and other family & friends, like Lorraine, were always there, but she didn't hit it big until BGT. Also, what IS a "professional singer"?? A successful singer, who has fans who will come to her performances and buy her records.? And she didn't have that till BGT, either. I don't think there is any way BGT can be belittled, as Susan got nowhere till she appeared there, and she was 47/48 by that time.
    Not trying to argue--just giving my opinion. IN MY OPINION ONLY, I think we owe a lot to BGT and Simon.
    There are thousands of professional singers who never make an album, much as they might like to. Musicians of all types are paid to perform at religious services, celebrations, corporate events, entertainment venues . . . I of course don't know which, if any of those, might have been appealing or even available to Susan. Happily not an issue now!

    Susan was definitely the right person in the right place at the right time!

  9. #29
    Susan Fan Ponylady's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Near Chicago, IL, USA
    Posts
    17,331

    Default

    I do agree with whoever said that her Paper Roses, Fame voice (or I Don't Know How to Love Him) would not have gotten her acclaim on BGT. In her wisdom and through her practice and determination she chose IDAD and stuck to it. I believe her when she tells how she didn't expect much from trying out there, but it could have connected her to someone who would hire to sing somewhere. As was said, a professional singer is certainly not usually a top of the charts album seller. After a couple of voice lessons while visiting Chicago (on a lark) the very professional voice coach declared that she was ready to direct me to appropriate "clubs" to offer my talent. The gigs are out there and indeed "professional." Just SO not my thing.
    "To love a person is to know the song in their heart & sing it to them when they've forgotten."
    They come, they come, to build a wall between us...we know they won't win." Don't dream it's over.


  10. #30
    Susan Fan Marie Jean's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    16,813

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by trennie View Post
    Certainly, Paper Roses and maybe, Fame, was before Susan had had any voice lessons. I don't think she had any idea of what her voice could do. It's always struck me as strange that her musical parents didn't seem to have any idea of her exceptional talent until she was in her late 30's and encouraged or paid for her voice lessons.
    It would be interesting to know exactly how Susan came to take voice lessons from Fred. I can't remember if it is in her autobiography or not. I do remember when Susan first came on the scene, there was an interview with Fred and he said that he kept a letter in his wallet that Susan has written to him. It was very touching. "Dear Fred,

    You are the first person to tell me you liked me. I’ve been crying ever since. No one’s ever told me that before."

    https://citizensagainstproobamamedia...r-to-mr-oneil/

    Perhaps Susan's parents couldn't afford music lessons for Susan when she was younger.
    http://gratefulness.org/light-a-candle

    "No act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted." Aesop

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts