+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 36

Thread: Susan Sings Paper Roses

  1. #11
    Susan Fan soothed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    11,477

    Default

    Thanks, Circ and MJ. Very nice.

  2. #12
    Susan Fan whiskers's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    4,409

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JudyMcKinn View Post
    I remember when someone found this 2 or 3 years ago. I know I shouldn't ask this, but isn't that a rather strange song to sing at a wedding?? Wonder if it was just a real popular song at the time, or is there was some other significance at the time?
    Quote Originally Posted by Marie Jean View Post
    It was at the reception. Although the words don't fit in with the occasion, it must have been a song that Susan knew well and after a few minutes of her singing, she sure held the audience captive, especially some of the men!
    In the original video you can see some singing along with Susan, at least mouthing the words, and I have thought that perhaps this was a favorite song of either the bride or groom or both and perhaps they requested Susan to sing it. "Paper Roses" was the first record of Marie Osmond at the age of 14 in 1973 and she later rerecorded it in the 80s and considering the Osmond popularity in the UK and Susan's following of Donny, most likely she knew this song well. IMO

    Thanks Circ, as always your videos are great, and thanks MJ for the link to the original video in case some had missed it.

  3. #13
    Susan Fan trennie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    32,849

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by whiskers View Post
    In the original video you can see some singing along with Susan, at least mouthing the words, and I have thought that perhaps this was a favorite song of either the bride or groom or both and perhaps they requested Susan to sing it. "Paper Roses" was the first record of Marie Osmond at the age of 14 in 1973 and she later rerecorded it in the 80s and considering the Osmond popularity in the UK and Susan's following of Donny, most likely she knew this song well. IMO

    Thanks Circ, as always your videos are great, and thanks MJ for the link to the original video in case some had missed it.
    I saw Kathleen, singing along. I wonder is this was after her husband abandoned her and their children.

  4. #14
    Susan Fan whiskers's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    4,409

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by trennie View Post
    I saw Kathleen, singing along. I wonder is this was after her husband abandoned her and their children.
    No, the video was made in 1988 and according to Susan's book, page 144, Kathleen's husband left in 1999.

  5. #15
    Susan Fan trennie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    32,849

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by whiskers View Post
    No, the video was made in 1988 and according to Susan's book, page 144, Kathleen's husband left in 1999.
    Maybe she had intimations. She looked rather sad while she was singing.

  6. #16
    Susan Fan Selimron's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Florida USA
    Posts
    3,778

    Default

    Susan was probably thinking of her Dad When singing Paper Roses.
    The Sun Never Sets On Susan Boyle.:rolleyes:

  7. #17
    Susan Fan Circlette00_Aus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Sydney, Australia
    Posts
    4,490

    Default

    Thanks everyone for the thanks. I always appreciate the feedback. It's fun doing the videos. Using pics of Scarlet and Ashley seemed to be the perfect unrequited love story.

    A special thanks to MJ for posting the link to Paper Roses as, as dutchoma mentioned the uploader has other videos such as Fame, The Way We Were etc. It was great to see the videos again. Watching that creep Michael Barrymore treat Susan the way he did, still makes my blood boil. So pleased he got his comeuppance.

    As I re-listened to Susan sing, again, I was struck by the power of Susan's voice from the videos. It blows me away that she had ALL that talent, some voice coaching from Fred and she didn't get anywhere until BGT. Those videos from the 80's and 90's demonstrate the voice was always there and like so many of us, I am so happy she went on BGT.


  8. #18
    Susan Fan Amber Duke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Near New York
    Posts
    7,718

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Circlette00_Aus View Post
    Thanks everyone for the thanks. I always appreciate the feedback. It's fun doing the videos. Using pics of Scarlet and Ashley seemed to be the perfect unrequited love story.

    A special thanks to MJ for posting the link to Paper Roses as, as dutchoma mentioned the uploader has other videos such as Fame, The Way We Were etc. It was great to see the videos again. Watching that creep Michael Barrymore treat Susan the way he did, still makes my blood boil. So pleased he got his comeuppance.

    As I re-listened to Susan sing, again, I was struck by the power of Susan's voice from the videos. It blows me away that she had ALL that talent, some voice coaching from Fred and she didn't get anywhere until BGT. Those videos from the 80's and 90's demonstrate the voice was always there and like so many of us, I am so happy she went on BGT.

    It's interesting, we often note how youthful Susan's voice is still at 53. And yet, if you compare her now with then, her voice has matured in a very good way, acquiring more depth and resonance to add to the clarity she always had. I think she has increased in versatility.

    Thanks, Circ. This was nice to revisit. And thanks to mj for showing us the wedding scene again, which was fun. It was nice to see Kathleen, but it also made me sad.

  9. #19
    Susan Fan Circlette00_Aus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Sydney, Australia
    Posts
    4,490

    Default

    AD, as I have no musical background except for a year in year 10 high school, I do not hear what you hear or, others for that matter. Terij writes really good posts about Susan's technical ability and that helps me 'cause the music teacher I had in year 10 was a drip. He only played classical pieces, for which I am grateful but, he never taught us about a singers voice. I grapple with the whispery singing voice, though I think I understand why a particular song is sung that way. Susan has a big voice, just like many singers so, for me, I prefer that big voice.

    BTW, I think Susan's parents are in the Paper Roses video at around 3 mins. I could be wrong though.

  10. #20
    Susan Fan yvbliss's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    In the desert near Palm Springs
    Posts
    311

    Default

    I noticed on Paper Roses and Fame that Susan sang pretty much in one range all the way through the song. They were very good but not spectacular enough to win apparently. I wonder if she could have made the impact she did on BGT if she had not selected a song that required her to demonstrate the amazing range of her voice along with its power. It's history now but it makes me wonder if she would have been discovered sooner using a different repertoire. Glad she wasn't, though. She is right where she should be and was discovered at just the perfect time in her life.
    Vickie

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts