Shop

Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Have Read Whole BookTWIWBTB BookDiscussion Thread-Don't peek if you have not read it

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by corkie View Post
    As I mentioned in my review, it was one of the chapters that disturbed me the most. Even though Susan agreed to go, she didn't know what the Priory was. Once she got there, she knew that it was a mental hospital and wanted no part of it, and memories of her Uncle Michael started in. You could just feel her panic and fear. I think she thought she was going to be locked in there forever, just like him. The fact that no one would tell her anything and she wasn't allowed to phone out was horrible. When she said she was never so afraid in her life, I know she meant it. It chilled me to the bone. All this time, we thought she was getting treatment.

The bit about the "shopping therapy" with the beautiful doctor later on so the press could "witness her recovery" was a slap back at them I think. So was her final statement, "so there are are".
    That is extremely disturbing- how could they sign her in? Would not her family have had to do so? I would be scared too if I woke up in a mental hospital!EEK!
    sigpic"

Caveat: All opinions expressed are in my humble opinion unless stated otherwise.

Comment

Originally posted by terijay7 View Post
      That is extremely disturbing- how could they sign her in? Would not her family have had to do so? I would be scared too if I woke up in a mental hospital!EEK!
      Her family did not know where she was until the next day. She was NOT ALLOWED A TELEPHONE CALL. I suspect BGT was in panic mode. They were paying the bill and apparently, those were the orders they gave. Sounds like a horror novel, doesn't it?

When Simon says he has learned from Susan, he isn't just talking about rolling his eyes at her Audition. I wonder if he's read the Priory chapter. I wonder if he can bear to.

Comment

Originally posted by trennie View Post
        Her family did not know where she was until the next day. She was NOT ALLOWED A TELEPHONE CALL. I suspect BGT was in panic mode. They were paying the bill and apparently, those were the orders they gave. Sounds like a horror novel, doesn't it?

When Simon says he has learned from Susan, he isn't just talking about rolling his eyes at her Audition. I wonder if he's read the Priory chapter. I wonder if he can bear to.
        Trennie, possibly once she was in the hospital BGT had nothing to do with it. When anyone I know has ever gone to this type of hospital there has always been a 24 hour intake period where they do not allow the patient to correspond with the outside because they considered this an adjustment period where they are closely monitored. However, I cannot understand why they would not contact her family, as I would consider this a family emergency. BGT has enough clout that maybe they could have gotten around this 14 hour rule if it had been applied wherever she was. If Susan was inadvertently bothering other guests at the hotel, there is a possibility that BGT had nothing to do with her going to the Priory. Someone may have telephoned the police. I'm not implying she was out of control, but at some of these high-end hotels it doesn't take too much to be considered "disturbing". I`m not condoning this. I really think that police over-react often.

Comment

I'm sorry but all this speculation over the Priory is not right especially on a forum where anyone who registers can read it, it should be done via pm if at all necessary, is just doesn't sit well with me, none of us know what really happened or the cirmstances, it just makes me feel uncomfortable, jmvho, It is very personal to Susan and I am sure she only touched on it in her book.

Comment

Originally posted by UKSusanfanAnn View Post
            I'm sorry but all this speculation over the Priory is not right especially on a forum where anyone who registers can read it, it should be done via pm if at all necessary, is just doesn't sit well with me, none of us know what really happened or the cirmstances, it just makes me feel uncomfortable, jmvho, It is very personal to Susan and I am sure she only touched on it in her book.
            She would not have devoted a chapter to her book, which hopefully will be read by a million people and talked about in book reviews if she wanted to have it be personal.
            sigpic"

Caveat: All opinions expressed are in my humble opinion unless stated otherwise.

Comment

Originally posted by andyp View Post
              Trennie, possibly once she was in the hospital BGT had nothing to do with it. When anyone I know has ever gone to this type of hospital there has always been a 24 hour intake period where they do not allow the patient to correspond with the outside because they considered this an adjustment period where they are closely monitored. However, I cannot understand why they would not contact her family, as I would consider this a family emergency. BGT has enough clout that maybe they could have gotten around this 14 hour rule if it had been applied wherever she was. If Susan was inadvertently bothering other guests at the hotel, there is a possibility that BGT had nothing to do with her going to the Priory. Someone may have telephoned the police. I'm not implying she was out of control, but at some of these high-end hotels it doesn't take too much to be considered "disturbing". I`m not condoning this. I really think that police over-react often.
              As I understand the media stories at the time, Susan locked herself in her hotel room and cried for hours. Then she was found, they said, "unconscious". They decided to send her to the Priory and called the police, apparently, in case she didn't want to go. According to the excerpt I read on Amazon, Susan was not told it was a psychiatric hospital, but only that it was a hospital. She agreed, I suppose, because she was exhausted and needed to rest in a quiet place. She said later that she had "never been so tired" We'll both know more when we read the whole chapter.

BTW, for those still waiting for the book. On Amazon in "search inside the book" they have a tab that says "surprise me". That's how I saw the Priory page. Each time you tap, a different page comes up.

Comment

Originally posted by terijay7 View Post
                She would not have devoted a chapter to her book, which hopefully will be read by a million people and talked about in book reviews if she wanted to have it be personal.
                We do not know how much she divulge(3 pages I believe), and I just think we are going into it too deeply without any concrete facts and as I said I am sure, not having read her book, that she has not gone into every details as we are, just my feeling. Sorry.
                Last edited by UKSusanfanAnn; 10-11-2010, 04:14 PM.

Comment

We do not know how much she divulged, and I just think we are going into it too deeply without any concrete facts and as I said I am sure, not having read her book, that she has not gone into every details as we are, just my feeling. Sorry.
                  This thread is for those that have read Susan's book. Corkie , H-Ohio, and I who have read the book and have made comments based on what Susan said about the Priory. There is no speculation here only what Susan has chosen to reveal.
                  Last edited by riseandshine; 10-11-2010, 12:11 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by trennie View Post
                    As I understand the media stories at the time, Susan locked herself in her hotel room and cried for hours. Then she was found, they said, "unconscious". They decided to send her to the Priory and called the police, apparently, in case she didn't want to go. According to the excerpt I read on Amazon, Susan was not told it was a psychiatric hospital, but only that it was a hospital. She agreed, I suppose, because she was exhausted and needed to rest in a quiet place. She said later that she had "never been so tired" We'll both know more when we read the whole chapter.

BTW, for those still waiting for the book. On Amazon in "search inside the book" they have a tab that says "surprise me". That's how I saw the Priory page. Each time you tap, a different page comes up.
                    Then if this is true the police were probably quite worrried and would have sprung into action. I really think sometimes they are way out of line. They had other options. They could have brought her to a regular hospital and notified her next of kin or BGT. She must have had some sort of id on her with some clue as to next of kin. Or they could have just phoned BGT and had someone stay with her until someone got there. They should have at least phoned her family, but I do know here in Canada the police often take people to a psychiatric hospital and actually to my knowledge have the power to `protect you for your own good`- trick you into going along with them and then once you are a patient at the hospital all of the institutional rules click in. The hospital should have told her what was going on and reassured her. It doesn`t appear they were very gentle with her. The rules are very clinical and usually they do not deviate. However, she must have been in an awful state if they found her unconscious. I don`t blame her. I don`t even think she had a breakdown. I don`t think I could have survived the immense pressure that she had to endure at that point for quite a while, both from the pressure of the press and the stress of performing, with the world watching.

Comment

Ann, admittedly, I just read one page of the chapter, thanks to Amazon. But she said she had never been "so terrified" in her life. All she could think of was her Uncle Michael, who was confined to a mental hospital for most of his life. She thought she could be locked away forever.

I think the point of this book, from Susan's point of view, is to explain herself to the public. As the reviewer said, and we have noticed with Molly Meldrum, Susan is absolutely honest about her difficulties and I believe she is in this chapter. She WANTS people to know. I hope more than Forum members will read it.

Comment

I just checked what i recalled at the time- June lst 2009-- this is from the UK Telegraph- just a short excerpt from the article--- so I am not posting the entire link, as we do not need to remind ourselves of it all- this confirms authorities were called under the Mental Health Act: Just to add to what AndyP posted above

""Following Saturday night's show, Susan is exhausted and emotionally drained," it stated. "She has been seen by her private GP who supports her decision to take a few days out for rest and recovery. We offer her our ongoing support and wish her a speedy recovery."

A Scotland Yard spokeswoman said: "Police were called at approximately 6pm to a central London hotel. Police and ambulance attended.
                        Last edited by terijay7; 10-11-2010, 01:03 PM. Reason: content
                        sigpic"

Comment

Originally posted by riseandshine View Post
                          This thread is for those that have read Susan's book. Corkie , H-Ohio, and I who have read the book and have made comments based on what Susan said about the Priory. There is no speculation here only what Susan has chosen to reveal.
                          I do not apologize for discussing it, as if Susan didn't feel it was something that could be discussed she would not have included it in her book for the world to read.
                          Last edited by sandyp; 10-11-2010, 12:31 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Hampsong-Ohio View Post
                            HaveRead Whole BookTWIWBTB BookDiscussion Thread-Don't peak if you have not read it

The Woman I Was Born To Be by Susan Boyle is a great book.

I won't say anything more than that in this first post.

Please don't scroll down and peak if you have not read Susan's autobiography.

I don't want to spoil it for you.

This is the cover page post.

Please, see the above. I tried to make it clear that this thread was for people who have read Susan's autobiography.

Comment

Originally posted by andyp View Post
                              I am sorry. I forgot that people had not read the book. I do not apologize for discussing it otherwise, as if Susan didn't feel it was something that could be discussed she would not have included it in her book for the world to read. Is there some way I can delete my posts if it makes you feel better?
                              No worries andyp you misunderstood my post. i agree with you that Susan included it in her book because she wants people to understand that she did not feel she belonged at the Priory and how frightened and isolated she felt. I was just replying to UKSusanfanAnn that we had read the book and there was no speculating about it and we were only discussing what Susan had written.
                              You have nothing to be sorry for or any need to apologize.
                              Last edited by riseandshine; 10-11-2010, 12:37 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by riseandshine View Post
                                No worries andyp you misunderstood my post. i agree with you that Susan included it in her book because she wants people to understand that she did not feel she belonged at the Priory and how frightened and isolated she felt. I was just replying to UKSusanfanAnn that we had read the book and there was no speculating about it and we were only discussing what Susan had written.
                                You have nothing to be sorry for or any need to apologize.
                                In Susan's own words, "I was still trying to accept that my dream was over, but this was truly a nightmare, on a completely different level from being chased by the paparazzi or vilified in the newspapers. I left as if I was having a fight for my survival as a person, literally to fight for my sanity." This is pretty tough stuff to read, but a far more hellish nightmare for Susan to have experienced. I hope to God Oprah doesn't focus on this.
                                http://gratefulness.org/light-a-candle

"No act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted." Aesop

Comment

Working...
                                X