This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Susan - Somewhere Over The Rainbow

Susan singing Somewhere Over the Rainbow with harmony provided by the late Eva Cassidy, known as her signature song.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?x-yt-t...&v=Z_0ofr1Abq4
    Last edited by Circlette00_Aus; 01-27-2015, 03:33 PM.
    sigpic

Thanks Circ. Susan's is WAY better. So it goes to show. When someone covers a song even in a certain Style of another artist, it does not mean a bloody thing if they are better than the other artists.
    Last edited by MollBobbers; 01-27-2015, 07:35 PM.
    sigpic"

Caveat: All opinions expressed are in my humble opinion unless stated otherwise.

Comment

Thanks Circ, for this comparison video. As we've been sayin' all along, the two versions don't even compare, except for a somewhat similar phrasing style, but in no way is this a "copy" to be confused with. No amount of being attacked on YT is going to change our minds, especially when you can hear the differences.

There's no doubt that Eva put her heart into this song, but Susan gave it that WOW factor... it's just plain beautiful!
      Last edited by MollBobbers; 01-27-2015, 07:37 PM.
      Sometimes you have to use the other tools in the toolbox to get the job done...Work it girl!
      ~ ~ ~

Comment

DK, thanks for your input, which I believe is spot on. The last paragraph speaks volumes, "There's no doubt that Eva put her heart into this song, but Susan gave it that WOW factor... it's just plain beautiful!"
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by DungenessKay View Post
          Thanks Circ, for this comparison video. As we've been sayin' all along, the two versions don't even compare, except for a somewhat similar phrasing style, but in no way is this a "copy" to be confused with. No amount of being attacked on YT is going to change our minds, especially when you can hear the differences.

There's no doubt that Eva put her heart into this song, but Susan gave it that WOW factor... it's just plain beautiful!
          Susan makes every song "her own".

Thanks Circ.

Comment

Hi Whiskers, Absolutely, agree with your comments and thanks for posting. That's why
            sigpic

Comment

When Eva sings this on her own, it's beautiful.
              Last edited by MollBobbers; 01-27-2015, 07:39 PM.

Comment

I agree. Eva Cassidy was a beautifully gifted singer, with a remarkable range and variety of styles. She was a pioneer of unusual and iconic arrangements. We all know Susan touches our hearts in a unique way and her vocal impact is unequaled and extraordinary; but Eva also touched many hearts, and continues to do so, even after her tragic early death from cancer.
                Last edited by MollBobbers; 01-27-2015, 07:40 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by JoanneK View Post
                  I agree. Eva Cassidy was a beautifully gifted singer, with a remarkable range and variety of styles. She was a pioneer of unusual and iconic arrangements. We all know Susan touches our hearts in a unique way and her vocal impact is unequaled and extraordinary; but Eva also touched many hearts, and continues to do so, even after her tragic early death from cancer.
                  Well said. Each singer is (and should be) unique rather than "best" or "not the best." Those of us who are drawn to Susan's voice will always feel it is the best. It may be hard not to fall into a competition mode, but fans do that unfortunately, especially online.
                  Last edited by MollBobbers; 01-27-2015, 07:41 PM.
                  "To love a person is to know the song in their heart & sing it to them when they've forgotten."
                  They come, they come, to build a wall between us...we know they won't win." Don't dream it's over.

Comment

Originally posted by doris buck View Post
                    When Eva sings this on her own, it's beautiful.
                    I agree. Loved Eva's version long before Susan. Susan's voice is different and just as beautiful.
                    Last edited by MollBobbers; 01-27-2015, 07:43 PM.

Comment

I have never heard anyone sing SWOTR like Eva did until Susan sang it that same way. Has anyone else ever heard that particular "version" sung by anyone else? I always felt Susan did copy Eva's style of singing it - very much so.

Here is Eva singing it on another occasion. I really like her and Susan's rendition of it very much.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2rd8VktT8xY
                      Last edited by MollBobbers; 01-27-2015, 07:44 PM.
                      http://gratefulness.org/light-a-candle

"No act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted." Aesop

Comment

Not looking for an argument, but from the first time I heard Israel "Iz" Kamakawiwo'ole, the late Hawaiian musician icon, sing Somewhere Over the Rainbow, I have been in love. He makes the song feel like pure happiness. Just an opinion.

http://youtu.be/w_DKWlrA24k

Comment

Originally posted by mamabear View Post
                          Not looking for an argument, but from the first time I heard Israel "Iz" Kamakawiwo'ole, the late Hawaiian musician icon, sing Somewhere Over the Rainbow, I have been in love. He makes the song feel like pure happiness. Just an opinion.

http://youtu.be/w_DKWlrA24k
                          No argument from me, mamabear. We're all entitled to express what we like and dislike. That is a personal taste.
                          http://gratefulness.org/light-a-candle

"No act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted." Aesop

Comment

I too love Israel K's sunny and light-hearted version of SOTR. He was a genius with style, the ukelele, and his wonderful Hawaiian tenor.

I think it's well known that Eva Cassidy created a unique arrangement of SOTR, that stood on its own for quite a while. Susan choosing to sing that version was proof to me of her familiarity with Eva's music and her great admiration for the young woman. Eva also recorded Imagine and Bridge over Troubled Waters, and many many many other songs in her short career.

Comment

I'm stepping in to clarify this before it gets into more negative territory of misunderstanding.

I think the "follow-up" comments are a little bit misunderstood in that they think the "previous" comments were attacking and comparing the quality, giftedness and beauty of Eva's singing. I don't think that anyone thought that of Eva, just the opposite.

Also to clarify the "previous" comments: they were derived as a result of being attacked on YouTube over and over again on Susan's own video. This was by a former fan member who directed her attacks at Susan and fan members commenting when there was no basis for it.
                              Last edited by DungenessKay; 01-26-2015, 02:50 PM.
                              Sometimes you have to use the other tools in the toolbox to get the job done...Work it girl!
                              ~ ~ ~

Comment

Working...
                              X