Shop

Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Have Read Whole BookTWIWBTB BookDiscussion Thread-Don't peek if you have not read it

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Ponylady View Post
    What a GUY! So, I'll bet you've finished it at least once? How great was THAT! I'm heading for a repeat reading myself. Should have done that over the weekend. :rolleyes:
    Little did I know how much I SHOULD HAVE done that over the weekend. My sister just left...WITH my book! so now I have less distractions from cleaning. Nuts! But I am looking forward to my Sister getting to know Susan a lot more than from whatever she read and from me (to whom she has never and will never listen.)
    "To love a person is to know the song in their heart & sing it to them when they've forgotten."
    They come, they come, to build a wall between us...we know they won't win." Don't dream it's over.

Comment

• Well, of course, like all of you, I read the book last week and was about to start again when my AUDIO CD arrived!! I don't know whether anybody else has heard it, but Elaine C Smith does a great job. It took about 5 minutes to get used to the fact that it wasn't Susan (naturally preferable), but then gradually the Scottish accent gave you the illusion it was. Perfect. She's great at setting up the jokes and highlighting the important incidents. First audio book I ever bought. Just wonderful.

Comment

• Originally posted by trennie View Post
        Well, of course, like all of you, I read the book last week and was about to start again when my AUDIO CD arrived!! I don't know whether anybody else has heard it, but Elaine C Smith does a great job. It took about 5 minutes to get used to the fact that it wasn't Susan (naturally preferable), but then gradually the Scottish accent gave you the illusion it was. Perfect. She's great at setting up the jokes and highlighting the important incidents. First audio book I ever bought. Just wonderful.
        I'm drooling here, Trennie. That is going to be my one request from my whole family this Christmas.
        "To love a person is to know the song in their heart & sing it to them when they've forgotten."
        They come, they come, to build a wall between us...we know they won't win." Don't dream it's over.

Comment

• I read Susan's wonderful book once and then loaned it to my daughter--I was so happy she wanted to read it as I'm forever going on about Susan to her. She also watched Susan on Oprah, so I'm hoping she becomes a big fan. My audio book came today, so that will entertain me while my daughter finishes the book and then I'll read it again. I know the audio book will be wonderful as well.

Comment

• One new thing I learned from the book is that Susan has freckles! Lots & lots of them! Very discreet, ladylike freckles, but still there. I've been wondering about that for a long time, because she has the same Gaelic dark hair/fair skin that my family and all my Irish friends have, that produces freckles like dandelions. Now I know!

Comment

• Yes, her freckles show on her arms on the book cover.

Comment

• Originally posted by trennie View Post
                Well, of course, like all of you, I read the book last week and was about to start again when my AUDIO CD arrived!! I don't know whether anybody else has heard it, but Elaine C Smith does a great job. It took about 5 minutes to get used to the fact that it wasn't Susan (naturally preferable), but then gradually the Scottish accent gave you the illusion it was. Perfect. She's great at setting up the jokes and highlighting the important incidents. First audio book I ever bought. Just wonderful.
                Mine came, too, over the weekend. I was so eager to hear it and compare it to the book, that I finished listening to it within a day. You hear Susan's voice first, with a very brief message thanking us for buying the audio version of her book, followed by Elaine, who brings the story to life. I, too, thought she was wonderful! The only thing that would have improved it, IMHO, is if they had cut less of the story out when adapting it to audio. I knew it was abridged and it is 3 CDs as it is, but I thought some really important parts were edited out. Like a typical Susan Boyle fan, I guess I just couldn't get enough of the story!
                Last edited by Muey; 10-25-2010, 07:02 PM. Reason: clarification

Comment

• Originally posted by Muey View Post
                  Mine came, too, over the weekend. I was so eager to hear it and compare it to the book, that I finished listening to it within a day. You hear Susan's voice first, with a very brief message thanking us for buying the audio version of her book, followed by Elaine, who brings the story to life. I, too, thought she was wonderful! The only thing that would have improved it, IMHO, is if they had cut less of the story out when adapting it to audio. I knew it was abridged and it is 3 CDs as it is, but I thought some really important parts were edited out. Like a typical Susan Boyle fan, I guess I just couldn't get enough of the story!
                  What sort of thing was edited out, if you can remember?
                  "Dear Father hear and bless thy beasts and singing birds, and guard with tenderness small things that have no words."

Comment

• Originally posted by JudyMcKinn View Post
                    What sort of thing was edited out, if you can remember?
                    A rough guess would be maybe 30% of the book. The part in which Susan talks about her father following her to the Happy Valley after she first started singing there, then going in with her and taking a turn at the mic, himself, is not there. Nor is the brief section in which she talked about the seven week period when she was seeing John in her late 20s and the impact that had on her and the expression of her emotions through music. There are quite a few others. Those are just two I noticed right away. It wouldn't have bothered me a bit to have had 4 CDs to listen to. Folks who are visually impaired and rely on audio books would miss that part of the story unless someone related those sections to them. It just would have rounded the story out and had the same substance the written version does. Just my 2 cents. I loved both, though!

Comment

• I only have the real book, but like you, I wish it were at least 1000 pages instead of a mere 300+. Hahaha. I would have loved her take on when she kissed Piers, and a few other things that she has said in interviews, but I am hoping for another autobiography a little ways down the road after she finds her feet and her "prince." I can't wait to hear her interview with Piers.

Comment

A rough guess would be maybe 30% of the book. The part in which Susan talks about her father following her to the Happy Valley after she first started singing there, then going in with her and taking a turn at the mic, himself, is not there. Nor is the brief section in which she talked about the seven week period when she was seeing John in her late 20s and the impact that had on her and the expression of her emotions through music. There are quite a few others. Those are just two I noticed right away. It wouldn't have bothered me a bit to have had 4 CDs to listen to. Folks who are visually impaired and rely on audio books would miss that part of the story unless someone related those sections to them. It just would have rounded the story out and had the same substance the written version does. Just my 2 cents. I loved both, though!
                        Just comparing the short audio sample we were able to listen to with that part of the book, I could tell that it was abridged, but it's a great thing for people who are unable to read the book.

Comment

Well I'm only on the first CD. It's in the car. Sorry there gaps, but I'm grateful for how much they did let her record. I suppose too many CDs would raise the price higher than the marketers wanted it.

Comment

• I just noticed that Amazon is advertising an audio version of Susan Boyle's book. it's abridged so isn't the whole book, I assume it's the same as the cds but I don't know. is just over 3 hours. anyway, the samples are interesting to listen to! if you go here, click to listen to the 2nd sample first as it starts with the introduction. then listen to the 2nd.

of course if you want to buy anything, go to the subustore then to Amazon and use the link to the audio version.

http://www.audible.com/search/ref=sr_lftbox_1_1
                            Last edited by ksdust; 10-25-2010, 09:10 PM.
                            Even in hard times there's a possibility to have fun.

Eyden I

Comment

• Does anyone have both the UK and US versions of the book? I do and they are a little different from each other. I'm sure the content of the book is exactly the same (I've only read the US version so far) but they are different in appearance in some ways and the UK version has a couple more things in it that the US version does not have. The jacket of the US version is glossy and the UK jacket is not, and there are also differences in the lettering on the jacket, especially on the side of the book. The books' hard covers are different from each other in color -- the US one is red and dark grey and the UK version is a solid very dark grey/almost black all over. The first blank page in the US version is white; the first blank page in the UK version is a light grey. More importantly, the next page in the UK version has a handwritten note from Susan (like she does with her notes on her CDs describing what the song means to her), whereas the US version does not have this; and another major difference is the UK version has a 6-page back-to-back-page (which amounts to 3 actual pages, since the print is on both sides of the paper) index at the back of the book, after "Acknowledgements" and the US version does not have this index; instead it has 3 blank pages. After the index at the back of the UK version, there is another grey blank page. Also, in the UK version, the photos in the book are separated into two sections (one grouping closer to the front of the book and then another grouping a bit further into the book), whereas the US version has all the photos in the center of the book. They are the same photos, though.

The note from Susan (in her handwriting) that is in the UK version and not in the US version reads:

"Hello Everybody!
                              I am so happy to be able to bring my story to you all -- it's been an amazing journey.
                              No matter what part of the world you are in -- the glorious landscapes of Australia, the green prettiness of the British countryside or the wild frontiers of the US, I hope you enjoy reading my book.
                              Follow your dream. It's never too late.
                              With my warmest wishes
                              Susan Boyle" [and she draws a heart after her name]

Maybe someone from the UK could scan that note in so all can see [if it's not against copyright laws]. I don't have a scanner.

Comment

• Hi Fran - While I purchased my copy in a Canadian bookstore, it is printed in the USA and sounds identical to the USA book you have.

The UK version, I would assume, was printed in the UK and arrangements with the different printers must have been reached re what is included and what is not.

The personal note from Susan at the front of the UK book has been made available online at Amazon.uk, in the area that allows a look inside the book, for those who'd like to see it.
                                "Support our Forum using the Subo store for your online shopping.
                                Click on the upper left "Amazon.com" (.co.uk, or .ca) to buy anything.
                                http://susan-boyle.com/pages/SubostoreUSA
                                http://susan-boyle.com/pages/SubostoreUK
                                http://susan-boyle.com/pages/SubostoreCA

Comment

Working...
                                X