OLD Fred O'Neil interview-- worth posting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by northview View Post
    Thanks; I’d read it before but it’s well worth reading again.

Here’s another old print interview with Fred; it has been posted before but it’s interesting to read it again (3 pages).

http://www.irishcentral.com/ent/Susa...-58097257.html
    Thanks somuch northview! i WILL read this later.....watching the Oscars now- really nice win by Octavia for "The Help" just now!
    sigpic"

Caveat: All opinions expressed are in my humble opinion unless stated otherwise.

Comment

@Stevie

I envy you that long talk with Fred and, even more, Fred's long talks with Susan. We see her at M&Gs and in the Doc., but we've never seen her as she is, when she's not on display. I'd love to know how many of our conceptions are misconceptions. It's the old question with celebrities, what is Susan Boyle really like? She says, "What you see is what you get." Well, not quite.

Comment

Originally posted by northview View Post
        Thanks; I’d read it before but it’s well worth reading again.

Here’s another old print interview with Fred; it has been posted before but it’s interesting to read it again (3 pages).

http://www.irishcentral.com/ent/Susa...-58097257.html
        Thanx for this article,another one I don't remember reading.
        There once was a girl named Susan, who always thought she was losin'. But she took a chance and she did a dance and now in a limo she's cruisin'.

Comment

I remember reading this interview and just loving the way he worries about her being able to find time to practice.

This was an important interview as it was an important step in showing she was no 'overnight' talent. Overniht success, perhaps, but not overnight talent.
          "Susan Boyle lived the thug life. You work it, Baby Doll"
          [A tweet]

Comment

Thanks for posting that article, Northview.

It's another great article exposing what Fred knows about Susan - he says she's 'sensitive, quiet and intelligent'. He calls her voice 'distinctive'.

I think her sensitive nature is what makes her such a great artist. When she isn't in her entertainer-mode, she does seem to be very quiet and intelligent, although her intelligence also comes through quite clearly when she does radio interviews.

One reason why I enjoyed the documentary by Osca so much was because we got a glimpse into the quiet Susan who doesn't feel the need to perform for everybody every minute. I have to say I love that side of her; she has a lot of depth which I find very attractive.

Comment

Originally posted by Vicki View Post
              Thanks for posting that article, Northview.

It's another great article exposing what Fred knows about Susan - he says she's 'sensitive, quiet and intelligent'. He calls her voice 'distinctive'.

I think her sensitive nature is what makes her such a great artist. When she isn't in her entertainer-mode, she does seem to be very quiet and intelligent, although her intelligence also comes through quite clearly when she does radio interviews.

One reason why I enjoyed the documentary by Osca so much was because we got a glimpse into the quiet Susan who doesn't feel the need to perform for everybody every minute. I have to say I love that side of her; she has a lot of depth which I find very attractive.
              Me, too. Actually, the part of the documentary I like the most (and the whole thing was very good) was the couple of minutes when Susan's sitting on the little covered bench she built in honor of her parents and she reflects on loneliness. That was the quiet, mature, sensitive woman that we so rarely see but which we hear in her music.

Comment

Originally posted by trennie View Post
                Me, too. Actually, the part of the documentary I like the most (and the whole thing was very good) was the couple of minutes when Susan's sitting on the little covered bench she built in honor of her parents and she reflects on loneliness. That was the quiet, mature, sensitive woman that we so rarely see but which we hear in her music.
                I agree that we've rarely seen that side of her, except in her music. She must have come to trust Osca to reveal that side of herself to him and his camera. My two favorite parts of the documentary were that scene on the bench outside her home, and the scene where she danced on the field in China, and talked about how she felt about the large stadium. She was just being herself in both scenes and not feeling the need to project anything for someone else's benefit.

Comment

I agree that we've rarely seen that side of her, except in her music. She must have come to trust Osca to reveal that side of herself to him and his camera. My two favorite parts of the documentary were that scene on the bench outside her home, and the scene where she danced on the field in China, and talked about how she felt about the large stadium. She was just being herself in both scenes and not feeling the need to project anything for someone else's benefit.
                  I forgot about Susan dancing in the stadium. You're right. That was different from the Kung Fu in the dress shop, where she was clearly performing. In the stadium, she just seemed to be whimsically amusing herself.

Osca must be quite a remarkably empathetic man. Too bad he's not about 25-30 years older.
                  Last edited by trennie; 02-27-2012, 12:10 PM.

Comment

As I remember it, O'Neil was the first person to come along and say that Susan Boyle was a serious person and a serious singer....that should be taken seriously.
                    "Susan Boyle lived the thug life. You work it, Baby Doll"
                    [A tweet]

Comment

Originally posted by Marie Jean View Post
                      ""As a singer she always had a lovely, calm, beautiful rounded voice. It is a very good instrument. But I am concerned about her being surrounded by all these PR people that she will not be given the time to sing," he said.

"She is like an athlete – she has to keep using her voice to keep it. If she wants to keep on singing big show songs she has to keep on practising. It is very different from singing for a couple of minutes on Britain's Got Talent."

Keep on practicing, Susan! Thanks for the thread, Teri.

Comment

Hoping the world will see more of every side of Susan as we do by snooping daily and deeply here there and everywhere. Frustrating to hear from friends who lost the dream right after BGT and formed really erroneous opinions. Pier's admonishing Susan at the end of the show they did together (that he wishes she would show the "real Susan that he knows more") seems to be playing out as time goes on and she grows in confidence. Good on her.
                        "To love a person is to know the song in their heart & sing it to them when they've forgotten."
                        They come, they come, to build a wall between us...we know they won't win." Don't dream it's over.

Comment

Originally posted by stevieboy49 View Post
                          @terijay...

Thanks for resurrecting this - I had seen it before and bookmarked it but it is nice to read it again.
                          I was with Fred on Friday night and he was waxing lyrical about Susan, as he always does. He still thinks the world of Susan and often meets her in his home or at Yule or for coffee in the Livingston Mall. Sometimes Susan will ring him for a chat and he says that they can talk for hours! He says that she is as bright as a button and as sharp as a tack, and those who have met Susan will, I am sure, concur with that assessment!

Interesting and very talented man.
                          Yes indeed (on both counts). When she is with Fred, they are talking about real topics - whether professional ones or personal ones. It makes sense that that's when she shows her most intelligent, perceptive, thoughtful side. We mostly see her when she's "on" as an entertainer, whether on stage or off. But I can tell from some unguarded moments that she would be a wonderful person to have a long, friendly talk with. I believe she's so much deeper than she lets on when cameras are rolling. Fred is lucky to have her as an ongoing friend, and she's equally lucky.
                          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Amber Duke View Post
                            Yes indeed (on both counts). When she is with Fred, they are talking about real topics - whether professional ones or personal ones. It makes sense that that's when she shows her most intelligent, perceptive, thoughtful side. We mostly see her when she's "on" as an entertainer, whether on stage or off. But I can tell from some unguarded moments that she would be a wonderful person to have a long, friendly talk with. I believe she's so much deeper than she lets on when cameras are rolling. Fred is lucky to have her as an ongoing friend, and she's equally lucky.
                            I think that is because Fred is a true blue friend whom Susan trusts. Like all of us, things we share with friends are different from what we share with acquaintances.
                            http://gratefulness.org/light-a-candle

"No act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted." Aesop

Comment

Working...
                            X