No announcement yet.

TWIWBTB_#30_NYTimes_BestSeller HardcoverNonfiction 29_Oct_2010 Susan Boyle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can someone please bring this up to date, if you know where to find the statistics. Am hoping (of course) that TWIWBTB is coming on up the charts, too, like Gift. Thanks.
    "Dear Father hear and bless thy beasts and singing birds, and guard with tenderness small things that have no words."

Comment

Anybody???
      "Dear Father hear and bless thy beasts and singing birds, and guard with tenderness small things that have no words."

Comment

Originally posted by JudyMcKinn View Post
        Can someone please bring this up to date, if you know where to find the statistics. Am hoping (of course) that TWIWBTB is coming on up the charts, too, like Gift. Thanks.
        It IS up to date. #30 on NY Times non-fiction bestseller list for last Sunday and #13 on equivalent list in UK. These lists are published only once a week, and this was first time WIWBTB registered high enough to show up on the respective published lists.

Comment

Oh, OK, thanks. They just change weekly, then. Was thinking daily.

Comment

Dear Mods,
            If this isn't in the right thread, please re-home it appropriately. Thanks!

There was some concern expressed in another thread about Costco pulling Susan's book off their shelves. I work for Barnes&Noble, so I can only speak to how things work there, but FYI:

When a book is returned to the publisher, that decision comes from HQ, it's not determined by individual stores. It's a matter of sales volume, competition for shelf space, length of time the title has been on display, and how much promotion the publisher pays for. Susan's book spent 2 or 3 weeks on the new arrivals table, and has now been moved to the biography table. Both displays are prominent, so Simon&Schuster is doing well by her.

Even when a book has been pulled from the shelves and returned to the publisher, it is still available. A customer simply goes to the customer service desk and special orders it into the store--no extra cost, no obligation. The store notifies you when it arrives and holds it for you for 2 weeks. So please don't worry. Susan's book won't be disappearing anytime soon.

Comment

I was in Costco here in Toronto yesterday and they had lots of copies. I was also in Chapters and as I walked in the door there was a display that said "Heather's picks". Susan's book was not there but there was an empty spot on the shelf so I raced over to the Biography section and got Susan's book and put it on Heather's Picks display. Whether Heather (whoever she is) likes it or not she now has picked Susan's book!!

Comment

Originally posted by retiredgran View Post
                I was in Costco here in Toronto yesterday and they had lots of copies. I was also in Chapters and as I walked in the door there was a display that said "Heather's picks". Susan's book was not there but there was an empty spot on the shelf so I raced over to the Biography section and got Susan's book and put it on Heather's Picks display. Whether Heather (whoever she is) likes it or not she now has picked Susan's book!!
                Heather is Heather Reisman, the owner of Indigo/Chapters. She is married to Jerry Schwartz.

Comment

As with CD, I haven't seen publicity on Susan's book here in US. How does S&S publishers think it is supposed to do well?

Comment

Originally posted by skywriter View Post
                    [I]
                    Even when a book has been pulled from the shelves and returned to the publisher, it is still available. A customer simply goes to the customer service desk and special orders it into the store--no extra cost, no obligation. The store notifies you when it arrives and holds it for you for 2 weeks. So please don't worry. Susan's book won't be disappearing anytime soon.
                    If a book has been pulled from the shelves and returned to the publisher, the customers in the bookstore just walking around in the store browsing and shopping for other books will not know that book even exists and is available to order at the customer service desk.

Comment

Originally posted by ReynieCarroll View Post
                      As with CD, I haven't seen publicity on Susan's book here in US. How does S&S publishers think it is supposed to do well?
                      As far as the book's placement in Barnes&Noble stores, Simon&Schuster have made sure it's being displayed prominently, although how much of that is S&S marketing and how much is B&N's I don't know, and we never will. The CD is #1 at both Amazon and B&N, and when it's released, I think the book sales will spike.

Comment

Originally posted by Hampsong-Ohio View Post
                        If a book has been pulled from the shelves and returned to the publisher, the customers in the bookstore just walking around in the store browsing and shopping for other books will not know that book even exists and is available to order at the customer service desk.
                        Quite right. At that point the marketing campaign has run its course, the sales have dwindled, and the book moves out of the store. People ordering it will need to know what they're looking for, but it will be available to them. I don't think we're at that point yet, or anywhere near it with Susan's book. Costco has other product priorities, but bookstores sell mainly books and CDs. Susan's CD is riding very high and will boost her book sales. In my store, they'll probably be displayed together to take advantage of cross-marketing benefits.

Comment

Originally posted by skywriter View Post

As far as the book's placement in Barnes&Noble stores, Simon&Schuster have made sure it's being displayed prominently, although how much of that is S&S marketing and how much is B&N's I don't know, and we never will. The CD is #1 at both Amazon and B&N, and when it's released, I think the book sales will spike.
                          My neighborhood B&N has it displayed right up front and totally hidden from sight. Why? Because they faced the whole (stand up display) towards the back of the store and fronted it with a different book. Most people will have to ask for the book, if they want it, because you sure can't see it. Very disappointing.

Comment

Originally posted by Griffin View Post
                            I am so pleased for her. I just finished reading her book and found it a delight. Poignant, funny and insightful. I will be reading it again in the not to distant future. Again good on you Susan.
                            agree
                            AS with CD,I haven`t seen publicity in Brazil .Noting

Comment

Originally posted by retiredgran View Post
                              That is one of the best PR stories I've read yet. Get ye over to the "How do YOU promote Susan" thread. You and "Heather" are now a team!
                              "To love a person is to know the song in their heart & sing it to them when they've forgotten."
                              They come, they come, to build a wall between us...we know they won't win." Don't dream it's over.

Comment

Working...
                              X