This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by xeno View Post
    The problem with Susan's Wiki page is that it is in semi-protection status so that most users cannot change data on it. In a way this is good as it prevents malicious people from vandalizing her page by adding things that might be vulgar or untrue. However, it also keeps people who wish to edit, add or correct information from doing so.
    I can edit

write down what you want to replace and the corrected version and I'll see what I can do to cut and paste it in. Remember and provide sources.

Susan Boyle - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Comment

Originally posted by KateOHio View Post
      OK!! Now who's up to the job??
      I tried registering last summer when this first came up ,I was hoping to change the picture,but ran into a stone wall.
      I tried sending in a suggestion but never heard back from anyone or saw any changes.
      Last edited by patriciasart; 12-15-2009, 12:12 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by musictchr View Post
        Hi, xeno ~ So, how does a page attain semi-protection status? Does this only go for some of their pages? And where is the talkback section? Do you have to be logged in to access it? Can you not get a new password?

Hi, musictchr. Pages become semi-protected when there is controversy about the subject, there are current events involved or there are many attempts made to edit the page in malicious or libelous ways. I suspect that in Susan's case the latter is what happened. We know all too well that trolls are attracted to websites devoted to Susan by the dozens as we've encountered them here. These same types may have descended on her Wiki page, forcing the editors to lock it down.

When I referred to the "talkback" page, I should have said the "discussion" page instead. The section on semi-protection called it the "talk" page and I then made an error when writing about it here. Anyone can read the discussion page, but only registered users can post items on it. One particular person called "Sameboat" seems to have set him/herself up as the overseer of Susan's page and is calling the shots there. Another called "SunCreator" also edits a bit and they argue back and forth on the discussion page about what they will include. There are Wikipedia standards that these people claim to be applying, but they still get a lot of information wrong. They also use information from news articles as if it is verified fact when we know very well that much of what has been published about Susan is riddled with inaccuracies.

I should get back to editing The Simpsons' Wiki pages so that I can build up some Wiki cred. Then I'll eventually be able to edit Susan's page, though I'll probably have to fight the two an*l retentives who've appointed themselves rulers there to get anything done.

Comment

Discussion Pages

Hi, musictchr.
          When I referred to the "talkback" page, I should have said the "discussion" page instead. The section on semi-protection called it the "talk" page and I then made an error when writing about it here. Anyone can read the discussion page, but only registered users can post items on it.
          Hi, xeno ~ Thank you for answering my questions. Where do you access the discussion page(s)?

Comment

The problem with Susan's Wiki page is that it is in semi-protection status so that most users cannot change data on it. In a way this is good as it prevents malicious people from vandalizing her page by adding things that might be vulgar or untrue. However, it also keeps people who wish to edit, add or correct information from doing so.

The only way to get things corrected is by going onto the page's talkback section and making a request to the people who seem to have appointed themselves editors. They're an arrogant bunch so it's hard to get through to them. I did manage to use that option in order to get Susan's birth date and full name listed correctly, although one of the overlords later went in and changed her proper middle name Magdalen to Magdalane for some reason. And of course all of the pseudo-sociological pop psych twaddle remains. I would try to do more but I lost my former password and can't log in under my established Wiki username to make edits.
            Hi Regarding her middle name, if I'm not mistaken in an interview with Gerry Boyle awhile back he said Magdalane is her middle name and he spelled it. It was the interview when people could send in their questions to him. Just thought I'd pass that on and that perhaps that's why they went in and changed it.

Comment

I've just edited her page. The TV special is now mentioned:

Comment

Originally posted by Midlothian View Post

Thanks, Bingo99 ...er, Midlothian! There's no reason this fansite forum couldn't be listed in the external links is there? I used to add things to Wiki but it's been awhile.

Comment

That's great that you're able to edit it and add the TV Special!!
                  There's a lot there that just doesn't seem right.
                  I always wondered where they got the information that she was missing some of the tour shows to conserve her voice!! There are people that actually believe that!
                  I mean really, if that were the case I sincerely doubt that she would have admitted it!

Comment

Remember, if you want me to change something, you've also got to provide a press story backing your information up.

Originally posted by Bubblegum View Post
                    Thanks, Bingo99 ...er, Midlothian! There's no reason this fansite forum couldn't be listed in the external links is there? I used to add things to Wiki but it's been awhile.
                    Its a friend of mine and longtime wiki user kindly gave me joint use of it.

Comment

RIK: Susan Boyle Official Biography Is Needed!!!

Since August 27, 2009 I've learned far more doing twice daily "SusaNews searches" plus reading postings on this website about Susan than on Wikipedia.org's article about her. Susan herself has spoken at length about her life experiences while her brother Gerry Boyle via Ewing Stevens' Radio NZ interviews established her date of birth - April 1, 1961 - and middle name - Magdalane - neither of which immediately went up on the Wiki article about her. An Official Biography of Susan is now needed to dispell inaccurate reporting about her personal and public life, how can that be done without "putting pressure" on Susan? I personally can't demand she'd write one but if requests for such could be "officially forwarded" to her management team (Nicola Phillips for starters) perhaps she would be interested in writing a book which of course would become an instant best seller. Who knows maybe one is being written now, only can hope here!!!
                      Last edited by Retired In Kalifornia; 12-15-2009, 01:29 AM.

Comment

When I try to put a link to here I get this message instead:

"This Susan Boyle Fansite: Susan Boyle Fan Site may be written from a fan's point of view, rather than a neutral point of view. Please clean it up to conform to a higher standard of quality, and to make it neutral in tone."

Comment

a photo

IMG_sbcrop_1.jpg

file:///Users/deborahwilbanks/Deskto...0045_1.JPG.zip
                          Can you use a photo? Not a good one, but it is mine.

Last edited by entropydecides; 12-20-2009, 11:51 AM.
                          It's in the blood, it's in everybody's blood, the ability to make people happy.* Susan Boyle, CNN interview.

Support your Forum: shop SuBo store, "Shopping" -- light blue banner at the top of the page
                          Avatar Photocredit = Graham Riddell

Comment

Image changed

PS The Image information and who took it and copyright needs filled out, and its page is not restricted. Could someone help out?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Su...photograph.jpg
                            Last edited by Midlothian; 12-15-2009, 02:07 AM.

Comment

Good on you. I knew you would know how.
                              sigpic"There will always be plenty of people who will give up on you. No need to give up on yourself" Susan Boyle

Comment

I've just modified the French version. They insisted that Susan didn't take part in the BGT tour for health reasons. I wrote that, although she cancelled a few dates at the beginning of the tour, she took part in most concerts and was welcomed everywhere by standing ovations.
                                I wanted to do the same thing for the English version, but apparently the page is locked.
                                “Let us be grateful to the people who make us happy; they are the charming gardeners who make our souls blossom.”
                                Marcel Proust

Comment

Working...
                                X