This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Susan's Wikipedia Page

I have a question for the techno-savy members. Susan's Wikipedia page is a holy mess - inaccuracies and a more negative slant with more emphasis on her supposed breakdown than I would like to see and not a lot of biographical info and info on her brilliance as a singer - no mention of the fabulous tour performances! Is there anyone who knows how to clean this up? This may be a new fan's first introduction to Susan and I would sorely like it to reflect the true, the amazingly brilliant, sensational Susan.

EDIT TO ADD:

It is a long time since this post was made and Susan's Wikpedia pages are now kept up-to-date by our brilliant archivists Shewa and Shirley from Florida.

Main page: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Susan_Boyle
    Discography: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Susan_Boyle_discography
    Concert Tours: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Susan_Boyle_in_Concert

There also separate pages for each of her albums.
    Last edited by MollBobbers; 05-20-2014, 01:01 PM. Reason: some info outdated
    Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we're here we might as well dance!

A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort

"The way of life go further, so not stay in the "anteroom"! Life is beautiful, but short" Jana Hamtilova

Wikipedia about Susan

I was reading about Susan on Wikipedia and under the title Hospital Stay and BGT tour it said the paragraph below, but there is no additional information about what really happened....does anyone know who updates this? It would be great if this was more accurate!

Boyle left the clinic five days after her admission [44] and said she would participate in the BGT tour. However, she refused to show up for rehearsals and the Daily Telegraph reported that Boyle wanted to perform only a small number of the scheduled 23 UK tour venues to "conserve her voice for her debut album."[45]

Comment

I also wondered who to contact about that page. It would be nice if they would update the picture.

Comment

Originally posted by fanfromgeorgia View Post
        I was reading about Susan on Wikipedia and under the title Hospital Stay and BGT tour it said the paragraph below, but there is no additional information about what really happened....does anyone know who updates this? It would be great if this was more accurate!

Boyle left the clinic five days after her admission [44] and said she would participate in the BGT tour. However, she refused to show up for rehearsals and the Daily Telegraph reported that Boyle wanted to perform only a small number of the scheduled 23 UK tour venues to "conserve her voice for her debut album."[45]
        If i'm not mistaken I think the general public can submit updates to this but I believe Wikipedia management decide if submissions get put on their site....good point though this does need updated....Susan served BGT well on that tour and appeared at nearly all the venues and plus with all the positive things that Susan has accomplished since then it should be on their record.
        No sweeping exits or offstage lines
        Could make me feel bitter or treat you unkind

Comment

Thanks DA50. I will look for an article that tells us how many performances Susan did on tour and submit it. Actually I was in Manchester in June and went to the evening BGT tour performance, but Susan wasn't there. It was very disappointing, but enjoyed the show anyway. I then heard she was on most of the remaining ones.
          Last edited by KateOHio; 03-16-2012, 06:06 PM. Reason: removed a long quote

Comment

Originally posted by DA50
            You will have to register with wikipedia and then you have to write the change or addition yourself on the edit page as you see it. Then it will be reviewed.

They use the funny little sguiggle things for security. Actually since some people on this forum have collected so much Susan Boyle data it would be good for a couple forum members to get involved in that.

Wikipedia has pages of info on how to do it and pages of policy for entries. Review that to make sure your entry meets all requirements and guidelines.

If you have only one source for info it may not be accepted unless it is deemed a reliable source.
            It looks like it is a semi-protected page. I don't know what constitutes a reliable source. They have a reference to an article that is pure speculation, written before the tour. Would they accept references to actual video as "reliable"?

Here is the tour list of dates Susan sang and a link to the video thread:

Fri 12 June 2009 - 7:30pm – Birmingham NIA

Sat 13 June 2009 - 2:30pm & 7:30pm – Sheffield Arena

Mon 15 June 2009 - 7:30pm – Glasgow SECC

Tue 16 June 2009 – 7:30pm – Edinburgh Playhouse

Wed 17 June 2009 – 7:30pm – Newcastle Arena

Sun 21 June 2009 – 1:30pm & 6:30pm – Wembley Arena, London

Tue 23 June 2009 - 7:30pm – Aberdeen AECC

Wed 24 June 2009 - 7:30pm - Birmingham NIA

Thu 25 June 2009 - 7:30pm - Coventry Ricoh Arena

Fri 26 June 2009 - 5:30pm & 8:30pm - Bournemouth International Centre

Sat 27 June 2009 - 2:30pm & 7:30pm - HMV Hammersmith Apollo, London

Tue 30 June 2009 - 7:30pm - Dublin O2 Arena

Wed 01 July 2009 - 7:30pm - Belfast Odyssey Arena

Fri 03 July 2009 - 7:30pm - Birmingham NIA

Sat 04 July 2009 - 2:30pm & 7:30pm - Cardiff Arena

Sun 05 July 2009 - 1:30pm & 6:30pm - Bournemouth BIC

http://forum.susan-boyle.com/v-i-d-e...ce-videos.html

Comment

Originally posted by DA50
              Oh yes actual data is very much accepted. In this case a reference to the BGT published tour performance dates with a copy of it followed by: Documentation of sources for each date Susan performed stating she performed and then writing the entry as "here is supporting data" that Susan Boyle performed this x number of performances out x number of scheduled performances. This would take a lot of research work but would definitely be accepted as much more accurate info. They (as well as I) would appreciate and admire your research work to establish the accurate info.
              This sounds like a fantastic project. It would be great to find an article that supports all of this information, but I did search and couldn't find any. It looks like each event will have to be documented individually. Right now I am not able to devote the time to it, so if someone else wants to that will be great. It would be interesting to see how Wikipedia works so in a few months if someone hasn't done it, I will give it a try.

Comment

I posted this in July -- and now that MTV has dredged up and quoted a lot of this in their MTV News' # 8 "Women of the Year" I thought I would ask again!! I use wiki a lot and would hope any newbie looking for info would get a better, truer impression of Susan.
                Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we're here we might as well dance!

A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort

"The way of life go further, so not stay in the "anteroom"! Life is beautiful, but short" Jana Hamtilova

Comment

You can edit

Originally posted by KateOHio View Post
                  I posted this in July -- and now that MTV has dredged up and quoted a lot of this in their MTV News' # 8 "Women of the Year" I thought I would ask again!! I use wiki a lot and would hope any newbie looking for info would get a better, truer impression of Susan.
                  Anyone, including you personally or any other enterprising member of this forum, can register to be an editor on Wikipedia! Registration gives you instantaneous ability to go in and correct/delete/add anything! If the original author doesn't like it, he may go back in and change things, but you can always do likewise, etc. (This happens a lot on politicians' Wikipedia pages during campaign season!)
                  sigpic Brooklyn Blessings

Comment

It would be nice to see a current photo too. I agree the whole page needs to be redone. I don't like it either.

Comment

Originally posted by patriciasart View Post
                      It would be nice to see a current photo too. I agree the whole page needs to be redone. I don't like it either.
                      OK!! Now who's up to the job??

Comment

How Wikipedia Works

Originally posted by Brooklyn Blessings View Post
                        Anyone, including you personally or any other enterprising member of this forum, can register to be an editor on Wikipedia! Registration gives you instantaneous ability to go in and correct/delete/add anything! If the original author doesn't like it, he may go back in and change things, but you can always do likewise, etc. (This happens a lot on politicians' Wikipedia pages during campaign season!)
                        That's interesting. I did not know that the original author had control over the article. I thought information was submitted to the web site and they posted it. I guess individuals really do have the power to change anything. So, influence of the original author is dependent on how closely s/he watches the article. I suppose everyone has equal power if anyone can change the articles. I thought changes had to be approved by "the powers that be" before posting, but if there are no "powers that be," then does no one check the accuracy of the facts with the documented sources? And are there rules for what constitutes legitimate sources??

Thank you, Brooklyn Blessings for this information.

Comment

Originally posted by KateOHio View Post
                          The problem with Susan's Wiki page is that it is in semi-protection status so that most users cannot change data on it. In a way this is good as it prevents malicious people from vandalizing her page by adding things that might be vulgar or untrue. However, it also keeps people who wish to edit, add or correct information from doing so.

The only way to get things corrected is by going onto the page's talkback section and making a request to the people who seem to have appointed themselves editors. They're an arrogant bunch so it's hard to get through to them. I did manage to use that option in order to get Susan's birth date and full name listed correctly, although one of the overlords later went in and changed her proper middle name Magdalen to Magdalane for some reason. And of course all of the pseudo-sociological pop psych twaddle remains. I would try to do more but I lost my former password and can't log in under my established Wiki username to make edits.

Comment

Originally posted by patriciasart View Post
                            Wiki has to use royalty free photos.

Comment

Questions

Originally posted by xeno View Post
                              The problem with Susan's Wiki page is that it is in semi-protection status so that most users cannot change data on it. In a way this is good as it prevents malicious people from vandalizing her page by adding things that might be vulgar or untrue. However, it also keeps people who wish to edit, add or correct information from doing so.

The only way to get things corrected is by going onto the page's talkback section and making a request to the people who seem to have appointed themselves editors. They're an arrogant bunch so it's hard to get through to them. I did manage to use that option in order to get Susan's birth date and full name listed correctly, although one of the overlords later went in and changed her proper middle name Magdalen to Magdalane for some reason. And of course all of the pseudo-sociological pop psych twaddle remains. I would try to do more but I lost my former password and can't log in under my established Wiki username to make edits.
                              Hi, xeno ~ So, how does a page attain semi-protection status? Does this only apply to some of their pages? And where is the talkback section? Do you have to be logged in to access it? Can you not get a new password?

Comment

Working...
                              X