No announcement yet.

In The Bleak Midwinter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thank you Circ.This is how I love to hear Susan sing, unfettered by too much accompaniment.Simple, pure and spine tingling.

I have a small quibble with the recording though .Why is the last line different from the original?It should be Yet what I can I give Him, give my heart -as it is on Bill's poster of the original words.It's a statement after the earlier questions ,ie I can't offer wisdom or a lamb like the wise men and the shepherds but I'm going to give what I can, my heart .It's a positive act of giving.
    Susan's version leaves out an "I" and just repeats the previous question Yet what can I give Him?Give my heart -which lessens the meaning and leaves it more as an idea than an act.
    What a difference that little word "I " makes!

It's one of my favourite tracks on the CD and I was so pleased that Classic FM played it on Sunday-that's a whole new territory for Susan.

Comment

I am really touched by the comments. Many thanks, Gwen, Diane W, Bobber, Jeanwkirk, Marty and PL. Susan certainly knows how to put her stamp on a song.

@ EA. Thanks for your query. I left one of the "I's" out! Darn. Oh, well, maybe, I can edit.
      sigpic

Comment

Circ, to my hearing, Susan sings it without the extra "I" . There'a 's a drawn out "what"instead. That's what I was querying.What you wrote reflects what we hear so I wasn't querying you!
        Thank you again for your video which illustrates the words so beautifully.

Comment

Originally posted by English admirer View Post
          Circ, to my hearing, Susan sings it without the extra "I" . There'a 's a drawn out "what"instead. That's what I was querying.What you wrote reflects what we hear so I wasn't querying you!
          Thank you again for your video which illustrates the words so beautifully.
          EA, I understood the query. It is odd when you listen and there is no extra "I" when Susan sings. I guess who ever proof read, didn't listen to Susan sing. How could that be? LOL
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Circlette00_Aus View Post
            @ CB nice poster. Love the picture you used. Thanks for putting it here. I should have waited another week before doing the video. Honestly, that Murphy's Law can be a Right Royal PIA at times! Should we get a video of Susan singing this song, I can edit the original.
            thank you Circ, and i take it that Right Royal PIA is aussie slang for pain in the ANKLE
            “A woman is like a tea bag; you never know how strong it is until it's in hot water.”
            Eleanor Roosevelt

Comment

Originally posted by proud to dream View Post

thank you Circ, and i take it that Right Royal PIA is aussie slang for pain in the ANKLE
              Trust me, some expressions are universal. We even say 'royal' in front of it.
              "Susan Boyle lived the thug life. You work it, Baby Doll"
              [A tweet]

Comment

"A breast full of milk????"

Somehow, I can't see most kids singing this one without giggling.
                "Susan Boyle lived the thug life. You work it, Baby Doll"
                [A tweet]

Comment

@PTD....yeah, sure the A stands for ankles.

@RtB.......trust you to pick up on "a breast full of milk". Kids will giggle and say yuk. No doubt about that.
                  sigpic

Comment

In the Bleak Midwinter is my second-favorite track on HFC (the Christmas Waltz just edges it out). I love its haunting ethereal beauty. Susan sings it perfectly.

bridgit
                    "Ever get the feeling your guardian angel stepped out for a smoke?"

Comment

Originally posted by Robert the Bruce View Post
                      "A breast full of milk????"

Somehow, I can't see most kids singing this one without giggling.
                      Where is that line? I apparently missed it, and hubby is asleep, so can't replay.
                      "Dear Father hear and bless thy beasts and singing birds, and guard with tenderness small things that have no words."

Comment

@ JudyMcKinn. A breast full of milk starts at around 2.06 minutes into the video.
                        sigpic

Comment

The video below includes the song, In The Bleak Midwinter from Susan's album, Home For Christmas. Enjoy!

The Ground Hog the other day said about many places in North America winter shall continue. lol Actually my country's 'Environment Canada' says things probably will be on the cool side even into April. Considering this I thought if I can't beat it, [Winter] I may as well enjoy it, pretend like it's almost starting...I was going to do a theme in my blog place a piece about about wintery themes in music and came up with quite a few but here's this one of Susan's. Perhaps I should be doing songs about spring but for those of us who'll be having a little bit more of winter how about enjoying Susan sing 'In The Bleak Midwinter'.
                          No sweeping exits or offstage lines
                          Could make me feel bitter or treat you unkind

Comment

Originally posted by Bobber View Post
                            The Ground Hog the other day said about many places in North America winter shall continue. lol Actually my country's 'Environment Canada' says things probably will be on the cool side even into April. Considering this I thought if I can't beat it, [Winter] I may as well enjoy it, pretend like it's almost starting...I was going to do a theme in my blog place a piece about about wintery themes in music and came up with quite a few but here's this one of Susan's. Perhaps I should be doing songs about spring but for those of us who'll be having a little bit more of winter how about enjoying Susan sing 'In The Bleak Midwinter'.
                            I certainly feel like I'm living in a bleak midwinter. All it does is snow. Plenty today, ice and snow Wed., and maybe a big storm on Saturday.

Comment

@ Bobber, let's us know when the blog is done. When it comes to winter, for me, there is no snow in Sydney. Up in the Blue Mountains about 1.5 hrs drive west of Sydney it snows. BUT, it is nothing like the snow in North America. I love looking at photos and videos of Mother Nature at her finest, decorating the land with snow. Not sure, I would like to live in an area that snowed. The emotion that Susan put into singing "In The Bleak Midwinter" has become one of my favourites on her Christmas Album.

@ Marty thanks for posting in the Sandbox the photo of the dogs in the yard today. Poor little things out in the snow. They looked so cute huddled together.

All of you over in the Northern Hemisphere are certainly having your share of a bleak Winter and I hope that Spring is sprung soon for everyone. I am looking forward to Autumn (Fall) and some rain as it is quite dry here from the summer heat.
                              sigpic

Comment

@ Bobber, let's us know when the blog is done. When it comes to winter, for me, there is no snow in Sydney. Up in the Blue Mountains about 1.5 hrs drive west of Sydney it snows. BUT, it is nothing like the snow in North America. I love looking at photos and videos of Mother Nature at her finest, decorating the land with snow. Not sure, I would like to live in an area that snowed. The emotion that Susan put into singing "In The Bleak Midwinter" has become one of my favourites on her Christmas Album.

@ Marty thanks for posting in the Sandbox the photo of the dogs in the yard today. Poor little things out in the snow. They looked so cute huddled together.

All of you over in the Northern Hemisphere are certainly having your share of a bleak Winter and I hope that Spring is sprung soon for everyone. I am looking forward to Autumn (Fall) and some rain as it is quite dry here from the summer heat.
                                Careful what you wish for, Circ. LOL

Comment

Working...
                                X