Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have always believed when a singer covers the song of another it is a compliment, and should be considered as such.

Comment

Originally posted by soothed View Post
      I have always believed when a singer covers the song of another it is a compliment, and should be considered as such.
      That's it soothed, well said! I agree, a singer wouldn't sing something that they didn't have an appreciation for, such as, the talent, musical arrangement, meaning of the lyrics, and other factors that drawn them to cover a song.

I would think it would be a huge compliment to the writers, artists, arrangers, etc. to cover their song, not to mention it opens newer audience's eyes to past artistry.
      Sometimes you have to use the other tools in the toolbox to get the job done...Work it girl!
      ~ ~ ~

Comment

Originally posted by JoanneK View Post
        I too love Israel K's sunny and light-hearted version of SOTR. He was a genius with style, the ukelele, and his wonderful Hawaiian tenor.

I think it's well known that Eva Cassidy created a unique arrangement of SOTR, that stood on its own for quite a while. Susan choosing to sing that version was proof to me of her familiarity with Eva's music and her great admiration for the young woman. Eva also recorded Imagine and Bridge over Troubled Waters, and many many many other songs in her short career.
        I think you are very correct here, Joanne. Here is some information on Eva from Wikipedia. To be honest, I had never even heard of her before someone posted a video of her here on this site. I really liked all her works on Youtube and I made a CD of them.

"Eva Marie Cassidy (February 2, 1963 – November 2, 1996) was an American vocalist and guitarist known for her interpretations of jazz, blues, folk, gospel, country, rock and pop classics. In 1992, she released her first album, The Other Side, a set of duets with go-go musician Chuck Brown, followed by the 1996 live solo album entitled Live at Blues Alley. Although she had been honored by the Washington Area Music Association, she was virtually unknown outside her native Washington DC, when she died of melanoma in 1996.
        Four years later, Cassidy's music was brought to the attention of British audiences when her versions of "Fields of Gold" and "Over the Rainbow" were played by Mike Harding and Terry Wogan on BBC Radio 2. Following the overwhelming response, a camcorder recording of "Over the Rainbow", taken at Blues Alley in Washington by her friend Bryan McCulley, was shown on BBC Two's Top of the Pops 2. Shortly afterwards, the compilation album Songbird climbed to the top of the UK Albums Charts, almost three years after its initial release. The chart success in the United Kingdom and Ireland led to increased recognition worldwide; her posthumously released recordings, including three UK number 1 records, have sold more than ten million copies.[1] Her music has also charted top 10 positions in Australia, Germany, Sweden, Norway and Switzerland.[2]"
        http://gratefulness.org/light-a-candle

"No act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted." Aesop

Comment

Eva's version of SOTR was considered her signature song and as a consequence she became noticed singing the song in a slow tempo, many believed Eva was the originator of singing SOTR.

In 1978 when Shirley Bassey performed in Aus, she sang SOTR. It was the slow tempo version. She starts the song at 1.31.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w-JrieP4zVE
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by DungenessKay View Post
            That's it soothed, well said! I agree, a singer wouldn't sing something that they didn't have an appreciation for, such as, the talent, musical arrangement, meaning of the lyrics, and other factors that drawn them to cover a song.

I would think it would be a huge compliment to the writers, artists, arrangers, etc. to cover their song, not to mention it opens newer audience's eyes to past artistry.
            I totally agree with you both
            sigpic"

Caveat: All opinions expressed are in my humble opinion unless stated otherwise.

Comment

Originally posted by Circlette00_Aus View Post
              Eva's version of SOTR was considered her signature song and as a consequence she became noticed singing the song in a slow tempo, many believed Eva was the originator of singing SOTR.

In 1978 when Shirley Bassey performed in Aus, she sang SOTR. It was the slow tempo version. She starts the song at 1.31.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w-JrieP4zVE
              Huh! Shows what I know ... I thought Eva's version was original. Thanks for finding that.
              Susan's is still my favorite version.
              Jean W Kirkland = SB Fan!
              sigpicImagine where she'll be 20 years from now - where she will have gone, who she will have inspired, given hope to, even mentored.
              Bless this woman for who she is! Honest, Wholesome, Real and Persevering!
              (Taken from Youtube comment 2009)

Comment

Originally posted by Jeanwkirk View Post

Huh! Shows what I know ... I thought Eva's version was original. Thanks for finding that.
                Susan's is still my favorite version.
                Shirley sang it exactly like most singers do, note for note, just maybe a little bit slower. Eva's version is different and hers is the version that Susan sang. It took quite a few listens to Susan's for it to grow on me but it certainly did, I love it, but still prefer the original version to Eva's.

Comment

Here are two touching news stories honoring Eva's life and wonderful work:

The Eva Cassidy Story - on ABC Nightline
                  http://youtu.be/bXU219b3Zdw

The Eva Cassidy Story - a BBC Production
                  http://youtu.be/b3ULEGqYeSI
                  Sometimes you have to use the other tools in the toolbox to get the job done...Work it girl!
                  ~ ~ ~

Comment

Thanks, DungenessDay. I look forward to watching these. How sad Eva died so young and " in obscurity" here in the states, despite her success abroad.
                    http://gratefulness.org/light-a-candle

"No act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted." Aesop

Comment

Working...
                    X