Review of The Woman I Was Born To Be

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Midlothian View Post
    What do you expect when you don't publicise a book. I don't know why they bothered releasing it if they're going to give is such a non-existent push.
    I agree. The lack of publicity in U.S. astounds me still. Nary so much as a booksigning surrounding Susan's few CD promotional visits here. Just makes no sense.

Comment

• Originally posted by ReynieCarroll View Post
      I agree. The lack of publicity in U.S. astounds me still. Nary so much as a booksigning surrounding Susan's few CD promotional visits here. Just makes no sense.
      I didn't surprise me that it was not an American push and Susan certainly didn't need anything else to do on her visit. Maybe in the next book she will discuss her decision to avoid scheduling a lot of events in these early years (or maybe always, who knows.)

When I think about it I have to realize that writing books is not what Susan does for a living. But I sure am glad she did write this one to set the record straight. There is so much more Susan could be doing to make more money and be more famous. If she doesn't care to then I am even more impressed.
      "To love a person is to know the song in their heart & sing it to them when they've forgotten."
      They come, they come, to build a wall between us...we know they won't win." Don't dream it's over.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ponylady View Post
        I didn't surprise me that it was not an American push and Susan certainly didn't need anything else to do on her visit. Maybe in the next book she will discuss her decision to avoid scheduling a lot of events in these early years (or maybe always, who knows.)

When I think about it I have to realize that writing books is not what Susan does for a living. But I sure am glad she did write this one to set the record straight. There is so much more Susan could be doing to make more money and be more famous. If she doesn't care to then I am even more impressed.
        I also think WIWBTB may have been planned to be the book for the musical or the screenplay for the movie of Susan's life. Both rumored. Plenty of humor and incident, love and loss.

Comment

The point is that if you are going to go to the time-consuming task of working with a writer to get your story told in your own voice so that people understand who you really are and what you are all about, then you and your publisher should want the public to know the book is out and available. A book that is written but not read is like a book not written at all. Yes, it sold reasonably well in the UK where it got publicity and book signings. But here in the US it got barely a mention except on the Oprah show. And that's a shame. It was a good read.

Comment

It's true that Susan isn't a writer by profession, but she did write the book.
            A ghost writer was hired, it was published, printed and distributed and I'd think they went to all that trouble to sell it.
            She's flown to the US several times to sing one song so it still surprises me that they didn't try to squeeze at least one NY book signing into a trip.

Comment

• Originally posted by ReynieCarroll View Post
              The point is that if you are going to go to the time-consuming task of working with a writer to get your story told in your own voice so that people understand who you really are and what you are all about, then you and your publisher should want the public to know the book is out and available. A book that is written but not read is like a book not written at all. Yes, it sold reasonably well in the UK where it got publicity and book signings. But here in the US it got barely a mention except on the Oprah show. And that's a shame. It was a good read.
              It really is a shame.
              Not only because of all the work and effort that went into it, but it's such a good insight into Susan's life AND it shows how much harm bullies can do.
              I hope that she realizes that it didn't sell better than it did because people didn't know it existed, and not because people weren't interested.
              Last edited by MartyPA; 02-14-2011, 05:54 PM.

Comment

• I was disappointed the book didn't have publicity. it wasn't even available at our walmart (I think books are handled through a distributor, not Wal-mart) and I don't know if it was in our local book and gift store, it wasn't in the window. I found it in a mall 45 min. from here, but back with biographies, not out in front. I donated a copy to our library, they didn't have one. every time I check online the book is checked out! yea for that.
                Even in hard times there's a possibility to have fun.

Eyden I

Comment

• I guess it depended on where we were. There was a thread "Where Did You Buy TWIWBTB" and some reported huge tables of the book up front (as I found at my Barnes and Noble) and we had choices of stores to buy it at different prices. Of course Amazon had it right there too. Good thing about a book is it is always out there to have a revival when the next big thing hits...(PL sits here counting the days until the new album, stage play, Glee cameo, new music DVD, trip to OZ, trip to Canada, trip to Chicago again.) I think I remember near hysterical joy at the sales of the book when it was released considering getting a book published, let alone be a best seller, is nearly a miracle.
                  "To love a person is to know the song in their heart & sing it to them when they've forgotten."
                  They come, they come, to build a wall between us...we know they won't win." Don't dream it's over.

Comment

• A nice sharing..thankyou..amen to your sentiments and reactions...Susan's courage I think impresses me most of all...what she went thru to get to that audition!..and oh I believe her mother was a big part of it all and still is. Susan is so, so brave... colette

Comment

I guess it depended on where we were. There was a thread "Where Did You Buy TWIWBTB" and some reported huge tables of the book up front (as I found at my Barnes and Noble) and we had choices of stores to buy it at different prices. Of course Amazon had it right there too. Good thing about a book is it is always out there to have a revival when the next big thing hits...(PL sits here counting the days until the new album, stage play, Glee cameo, new music DVD, trip to OZ, trip to Canada, trip to Chicago again.) I think I remember near hysterical joy at the sales of the book when it was released considering getting a book published, let alone be a best seller, is nearly a miracle.
                      Don't forget publishers' pay for prominent placement. Here in Maryland, at Barnes&Noble, Susan's books were right up front on a table, with many copies displayed.

Comment

• Originally posted by Calli View Post
                        Thanks so much, corkie, for the wonderful review. I've already read Susan's book twice, and intend to read it again soon. You're right, some things remained unsaid and, therefore, some old things as well as new things (that have happened & will happen) will be in store for us to read when Susan writes another book one day. Right now, I just read that she was seen entering the recording studio in London, so she'll be busy working on her next, very looked forward to, album.
                        Welcome to the Forum, Calli! I'm pleased you love Susan's book (so do I) and pleased you found us.
                        Blessings & Bear Hugs
                        SusaFan Squad member
                        Supporting Susan in a Positive Way

Comment

Thanks so much, corkie, for the wonderful review. I've already read Susan's book twice, and intend to read it again soon. You're right, some things remained unsaid and, therefore, some old things as well as new things (that have happened & will happen) will be in store for us to read when Susan writes another book one day. Right now, I just read that she was seen entering the recording studio in London, so she'll be busy working on her next, very looked forward to, album.
                          Hi, Calli. Welcome aboard. Did you read that about Susan in the recording studio yesterday? That would be wonderful.

Comment

• Originally posted by trennie View Post
                            Hi, Calli. Welcome aboard. Did you read that about Susan in the recording studio yesterday? That would be wonderful.
                            Yes Calli, hello and welcome.
                            You're new so you don't yet realize that when you hear news like that, you MUST share it with us.

Comment

Hi Calli, welcome to this forum, I hope to hear a lot from you.
                              Wouldn't it be great if Susan would write another book someday?
                              I think she'll write it if she feels she has to "prove a point" again
                              Well, I am interested in everything Susan will ever write
                              Treat every person with kindness and respect, even those who are rude to you. Remember that you show compassion to others not because of who they are but because of who you are.
                              Author: Andrew T. Somers

Support your Forum: shop SuBo store, "Shopping" -- light blue banner at the top of the page

Comment

• Originally posted by MarieUrsula View Post
                                Welcome to the Forum, Calli! I'm pleased you love Susan's book (so do I) and pleased you found us.
                                Originally posted by trennie View Post
                                Originally posted by MartyPA View Post

Yes Calli, hello and welcome.
                                You're new so you don't yet realize that when you hear news like that, you MUST share it with us.
                                Originally posted by truusbuist View Post

Hi Calli, welcome to this forum, I hope to hear a lot from you.
                                Wouldn't it be great if Susan would write another book someday?
                                I think she'll write it if she feels she has to "prove a point" again
                                Well, I am interested in everything Susan will ever write
                                Hi, I can't seem to find Calli's post, am very interested to read Susan was seen entering the recording studio, when was this, can someone point me in the direction of Calli's post, thanks,

Comment

Working...
                                X