OLD Fred O'Neil interview-- worth posting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OLD Fred O'Neil interview-- worth posting

I was searching for that BGT thing, when i came across this article from April 2009, and this is VERY interesting indeed-- especially as history. I am sure we all missed this one. I know I did.
    http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-en...g-1671687.html

in part, he says this:

""Susan is a woman you can sit down with and have a very intelligent conversation. She is one person with whom I can say about my own act 'do you think that song should be dropped?' or 'is that working?' She is one person whose judgement you can really trust."

He said the much-reported mild brain damage she sustained during birth barely affected her daily life.

"She is being portrayed as being lucky but she is someone who is not just a talented woman but she has a real intelligence. She may have had the problem when she was born but it does not affect her 99 per cent of the time."
    sigpic"

Caveat: All opinions expressed are in my humble opinion unless stated otherwise.

Thank you Teri, this was a wonderfully informative article. I am really grateful to you for finding and posting it because the insight of her teacher and mentor are important. I would like to ask him these several years later if he feels things are going better than he feared when all of this started.

Comment

Everybody around Susan (including Susan) seems to agree that IT doesn't affect her 99% of the time. Chrissy Isley in her DM interview implied the same, by saying that every now and then you notice a little something. But what? I wish they'd spell it out or stop talking about it. It really drives me up the wall.

Comment

Thanx Teri, I missed this article too.
        There once was a girl named Susan, who always thought she was losin'. But she took a chance and she did a dance and now in a limo she's cruisin'.

Comment

@terijay...

Thanks for resurrecting this - I had seen it before and bookmarked it but it is nice to read it again.
          I was with Fred on Friday night and he was waxing lyrical about Susan, as he always does. He still thinks the world of Susan and often meets her in his home or at Yule or for coffee in the Livingston Mall. Sometimes Susan will ring him for a chat and he says that they can talk for hours! He says that she is as bright as a button and as sharp as a tack, and those who have met Susan will, I am sure, concur with that assessment!

Interesting and very talented man.
          SusaFan Squad Member
          Supporting Susan In A Positive Way

"What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us." (Emerson)

Comment

Originally posted by dandjmaclean View Post
            Thank you Teri, this was a wonderfully informative article. I am really grateful to you for finding and posting it because the insight of her teacher and mentor are important. I would like to ask him these several years later if he feels things are going better than he feared when all of this started.
            It is quite informative, or i would not have bothered to bring to y'all's attention! I think Fred knows her voice more than anyone-- and i had also not realized she studied with him for SIX years, either!
            sigpic"

Caveat: All opinions expressed are in my humble opinion unless stated otherwise.

Comment

Originally posted by stevieboy49 View Post
              @terijay...

Thanks for resurrecting this - I had seen it before and bookmarked it but it is nice to read it again.
              I was with Fred on Friday night and he was waxing lyrical about Susan, as he always does. He still thinks the world of Susan and often meets her in his home or at Yule or for coffee in the Livingston Mall. Sometimes Susan will ring him for a chat and he says that they can talk for hours! He says that she is as bright as a button and as sharp as a tack, and those who have met Susan will, I am sure, concur with that assessment!

Thanks Graeme! I think sometimes people under-estimate Miss Boyle's music knowledge and also her intelligence-- i know you and Fred do not~
              Watching the arrivals at the Oscars right now-- hahahahaha- for some reason, it cracks me up laughing, when Ryan Seacrest keeps asking everyone "WHO are you wearing"- hee hee.
              sigpic"

Comment

""As a singer she always had a lovely, calm, beautiful rounded voice. It is a very good instrument. But I am concerned about her being surrounded by all these PR people that she will not be given the time to sing," he said.

"She is like an athlete – she has to keep using her voice to keep it. If she wants to keep on singing big show songs she has to keep on practising. It is very different from singing for a couple of minutes on Britain's Got Talent."

Keep on practicing, Susan! Thanks for the thread, Teri.
                http://gratefulness.org/light-a-candle

"No act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted." Aesop

Comment

Originally posted by terijay7 View Post
                  It is quite informative, or i would not have bothered to bring to y'all's attention! I think Fred knows her voice more than anyone-- and i had also not realized she studied with him for SIX years, either!
                  Really? I thought Susan always said two. That is voice lessons that she paid for. Actually, that 6 years wasn't a quote from Fred but the writer's characterization. And this was early on when so may details about Susan's life were murky. If Fred said it, possibly he meant that he continued to advise her informally after the lessons stopped.
                  Last edited by trennie; 02-26-2012, 06:09 PM.

Comment

I had read this interview before, but I agree it's a top notch piece of insight into the real Susan Boyle by someone who actually knows and respects her.

Terijay, did you see that Fred also thinks Susan could be a good actress? I know you have stated several times that you think she has it in her to be one of the greats. I didn't remember him saying that when I read this before, so I must have just missed that paragraph.

Comment

Thanks; I’d read it before but it’s well worth reading again.

Here’s another old print interview with Fred; it has been posted before but it’s interesting to read it again (3 pages).

http://www.irishcentral.com/ent/Susa...-58097257.html

Comment

Originally posted by stevieboy49 View Post
                        @terijay...

Thank you for sharing, Graeme. I'm so glad she has a such a good friend as Fred, and that he thinks so well of her.

Also, thank you for posting the article, Teri.
                        sigpic

Comment

teri and Northview. Thanks for resurecting these articcles. I've read them before but enjoyed reading them again.I think Fred knows Susan very well as she does him.
                          The Sun Never Sets On Susan Boyle.:rolleyes:

Comment

I had not read this. Thanks, Teri. All the more reason not to be afraid to post obscure old stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by Vicki View Post
                              I had read this interview before, but I agree it's a top notch piece of insight into the real Susan Boyle by someone who actually knows and respects her.

Terijay, did you see that Fred also thinks Susan could be a good actress? I know you have stated several times that you think she has it in her to be one of the greats. I didn't remember him saying that when I read this before, so I must have just missed that paragraph.
                              YES! I did see that Vicki and I have said that too and i had not seen what Fred said.....am watching the Oscars right now--I do think with the right role, Miss Boyle would be amazing as an actress! Maybe one day!
                              sigpic"

Comment

Working...
                              X