Open Letter to SBFII Board of Directors, June 26, 2016

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by JudyMcKinn View Post
    I might point out that SherryjKelley is still listed as our newest member, (and a very valued and enthusiastic member she is) but she has been on quite a while now, so we are probably having interested visitors who are losing interest because they can't get to a lot of the sites they would find interesting. Just a thought, to add fuel to the fire on needing the site fixed.
    Judy, sherry is the only new member in ages who's posted anything, and if I'm not mistaken, she had trouble doing so.
    Maybe the other new members can't post.

Comment

Originally posted by MollBobbers View Post
      The Search facility is particularly necessary for LucyB, but many other members (particularly mods) used also to use it. It is extremely frustrating having to spend hours searching for old threads which used to come up automatically with one click.
      Yes, the gator aggravation is there for several functions such as: find all your personal posts, new posts, and the search, which are problematic for more than just Lucy.

Comment

Originally posted by MollBobbers View Post
        The Search facility is particularly necessary for LucyB, but many other members (particularly mods) used also to use it. It is extremely frustrating having to spend hours searching for old threads which used to come up automatically with one click.
        I can certainly understand that, MB. I only searched for a thread one time. It took so long that I'll never do it again, so all of the preserved information is useless to me now.

Comment

Originally posted by MartyPA View Post

But even though we see the Gator, I don't think it's their problem, they're just the server. The problem is with the vBulletin software.
          Sounded to me like Judy and Co. have had several promises from the software service people. It hurts my heart to hear accusations that anyone "doesn't care" except maybe vBulletin. It has been addressed as best our volunteer folks were able to come up with and they get "promises". I can sure relate from my life of disappointments at service promises. Don't know how to get off the bottom of the totum pole in priority for these people since throwing a ton of money their way doesn't seem probable.

I sure sympathise with LucyB trying to run a business dependant on research through our software and for our staff trying to interest new members and old. Still amazes me that a volunteer staff with real lives and sometimes very difficult lives can do what needs doing. If membership fees become needed I fear few will be willing with so much available through FB and YouTube, etc. Certainly not the caliber of SBFII but many have fled there to leave negative drama behind anyway. I'll take the occasional drama over leaving this good bunch of friends.
          "To love a person is to know the song in their heart & sing it to them when they've forgotten."
          They come, they come, to build a wall between us...we know they won't win." Don't dream it's over.

Comment

Originally posted by Ponylady View Post
            Sounded to me like Judy and Co. have had several promises from the software service people. It hurts my heart to hear accusations that anyone "doesn't care" except maybe vBulletin. It has been addressed as best our volunteer folks were able to come up with and they get "promises". I can sure relate from my life of disappointments at service promises. Don't know how to get off the bottom of the totum pole in priority for these people since throwing a ton of money their way doesn't seem probable.

I sure sympathise with LucyB trying to run a business dependant on research through our software and for our staff trying to interest new members and old. Still amazes me that a volunteer staff with real lives and sometimes very difficult lives can do what needs doing. If membership fees become needed I fear few will be willing with so much available through FB and YouTube, etc. Certainly not the caliber of SBFII but many have fled there to leave negative drama behind anyway. I'll take the occasional drama over leaving this good bunch of friends.
            Thanks, PL! I must say the accusation hurt my heart too.

"I once was lost, but now am found."
            Susafan Squad Member

Comment

Originally posted by Ponylady View Post

With the large reserve we have right now, I don't think money is an issue. And while I appreciate the volunteers offering their services, I can see the frustration of not only LucyB, Moll but others as well of no solution since Lucy first made her post 9 months ago. And I wouldn't exactly phrase LucyB's work as a business. It is a labor of love of so diligently recording all Susan related matters. If Susan ever writes another book, Lucy's work would be extremely helpful!
              Last edited by Marie Jean; 06-26-2016, 04:19 PM. Reason: Corrected multiple error. Must have sun stroke.
              http://gratefulness.org/light-a-candle

"No act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted." Aesop

Comment

Originally posted by Marie Jean View Post
                With the large reserve we have right now, I don't think money is an issue. And while I appreciate the volunteers offering their services, I can see the frustration of not only LucyB, Moll but others as well of no solution since Lucy first made her post 9 months ago. And I wouldn't exactly phrase LucyB's work as a business. It is a labor of love of so diligently recording all Susan related matters. If Susan ever writes another book, Lucy's work would be extremely helpful!
                How right you are, MJ!!

Comment

Originally posted by Lu126 View Post

How right you are, MJ!!
                  You bet!

Comment

I also hope this is fixed very soon.
                    Originally posted by LucyB View Post
                    From JudyOkla, via Lauraj210, post #10 on this thread:
                    "I would think...and sure hope...that function will be working before July. I'm going to be very upset if not!!"

According to my calander, there are only 4 more days left in June and then its July. So then what???? The problem has NOT been resolved for 9 months; is there any use hoping that it will be resolved within the next 4 days????
                    Support your Forum: shop SuBo store
                    http://www.subostore.com/

Comment

I wonder if other sites have this problem with this server?

Comment

Originally posted by jordie View Post
                        I wonder if other sites have this problem with this server?
                        others have problems, maybe not the same as ours. here is their forum.
                        http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/
                        Even in hard times there's a possibility to have fun.

Eyden I

Comment

Originally posted by ksdust View Post

others have problems, maybe not the same as ours. here is their forum.
                          http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/
                          This confirms my gut feeling that our seeming solid financial condition would go to a national debt if we had to hire someone make any sense of all this. I have no idea what the question was let alone the answer (probably has nothing to do with our case) but it struck me as sadly funny, especially the bolded parts.

Why are there two config.php files now?
                          vBulletin 5.X is currently two parts. Presentation and Core. Presentation is used to show everything to the user. Core is what makes it work behind the scenes. The system is designed so that in the future, Presentation and Core do not need to be on the same server or in the same path. This is why we have two config.php files.

Because Core hasn't been completely rewritten yet, including almost the entire AdminCP, it requires the bburl variable to include files and function properly. These need to point to the Core URL. The Presentation Layer or front-end doesn't need bburl to function. Presentation gets everything it needs via the API. What this means is that a Mobile Presentation layer could be plugged in and you have Mobile Suite Apps. Or a Facebook Presentation and a Facebook App. Since everything uses the same API, the mobile apps gain more functionality and should be less buggy.

So does bug spray work on gators? I believe Judy and our team are doing all they can to work with these people to decide if their promises are believable. SO glad it isn't me that has to determine any of it.
                          "To love a person is to know the song in their heart & sing it to them when they've forgotten."
                          They come, they come, to build a wall between us...we know they won't win." Don't dream it's over.

Comment

ain't THAT the truth!
                            "SO glad it isn't me that has to determine any of it."

Eyden I

Comment

Originally posted by ksdust View Post
                              ain't THAT the truth!
                              "SO glad it isn't me that has to determine any of it."

ksdust .... when did you want to schedule your training again?

I have read the vBulletin forums from time to time. It can be interesting. We have been on this particular vBulletin version (4.1.3) for a long time. There are forums out there with older versions of vBulletin that I assume work fine.

Our 'search' function worked fine when we were originally on a shared server. Our 'search' function worked fine when we went to a dedicated server. When we switched back to a shared server (last October) the search problems appeared which I noticed on the beta testing and mentioned. Same forum software and same host.

It's like someone simply failed to turn on a switch but I don't know why it is so hard to find.

Comment

Originally posted by Bubblegum View Post
                                ksdust .... when did you want to schedule your training again?
                                in my NEXT life! (when I am young again and can think, lol!)

Eyden I

Comment

Working...
                                X