This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• May 21-27: Susa-News Summary

We, as her adoring fans, are privileged to constantly watch and enjoy the public activities of Global Superstar, Susan Boyle. I am maintaining a daily log of the highlights of Susa-news and not editorializing toooo much. Accuracy is very important – PLEASE PM any additions and/or corrections to me. I’ve tried to credit the right Fan where possible. Please forgive my mistakes and send me a correction.

May 21-27: Performed “I Dreamed A Dream” at Celtic’s 50-year Anniversary Gala at Glasgow’s Hydro

May 21, Sunday: Publicity for The Glamis Prom begins

1. . Sundaypost.com posted “Susan Boyle admits her biggest fear is going back to the days of not being able to pay her bills” by Stuart Findlay. Some highlights:
    “Singing sensation Susan Boyle might have millions in the bank but that still doesn’t stop her fretting about paying the bills. It has been eight years since her breakout audition on Britain’s Got Talent catapulted her to global fame. But even after selling more than 25m records and amassing an estimated personal fortune of £22m, SuBo told The Sunday Post she keeps a lid on her spending for fear of it all going wrong.
    ‘“My goals are simple now,”’ said the 56-year-old. ‘“To have good friends and family around me and enjoy some of the money I have earned within reason and ensure I never have to worry about paying my gas and electric again. I’ve been there, sitting in the dark, unable to pay the bills after my mother died and before I went on Britain’s Got Talent. My biggest fear is going back to that, which is why I strive to be sensible.”’
    “She has dealt with constant speculation about her health and, in 2013, revealed she had been diagnosed with Asperger syndrome. It was a huge relief for the performer, who had been incorrectly told as a child she had brain damage.”
    ‘“Just as I think I have it all figured out I realise I probably don’t,”’ she said. ‘“It’s hard to read speculation about my health without getting upset. It opens the floodgates on comments about whether I should or should not have been given the opportunity to have this career. But I firmly believe that I have shown, regardless of the label you are given, everyone is capable and should be given the opportunity. Just because I have been upset in an airport doesn’t mean I should be put out to pasture.”’
    “Also on the bill is West End star turned soap actor Lee Mead. Along with his own performance at the Glamis Prom, he also revealed a planned duet with SuBo.”

2. On The Glamis Prom Facebook page the question was asked: ““This song would be a welcome one with Lee Mead and – well, who do you think should duet with him at this years The Glamis Prom?” with a link to Lee Mead and Connie Fisher singing “All I Ask of You”. https://youtu.be/41jF7PX--Gs

May 22, Monday
    1. A picture was posted on Facebook of Susan and friends at The Bus Stop Café in Bathgate with the caption: “Susan Boyle in Cafe for Afternoon Tea”.

May 23, Tuesday

May 24, Wednesday: Day before Celtic’s Gala Celebration

1. Thescottishsun.co.uk posted “PITCH PERFECT: Susan Boyle joins Rod Stewart in star-studded line-up for Celtic’s Lisbon Lions 50th anniversary celebrations”, an exclusive by Phil Martin. Some highlights: “Susan Boyle is the latest big name to be added to the star-studded line-up for Celtic’s Lisbon Lions 50th anniversary celebrations. The singing sensation will join fellow Hoops fan and music icon Rod Stewart at Glasgow’s SSE Hydro on May 25 – 50 years to the day since Celts became the first British club to lift the European Cup. It is believed that as part of her set Britain’s Got Talent star Boyle will sing I Dreamed A Dream, the song that propelled her to world-wide fame and her own tribute to Jock Stein’s legendary team.”

2. A tweet by Scottish musician Eddi Reader from rehearsal during the day and some fan comments: “JUST saw and heard Susan Boyle singing – wow!”
    • A comment from Trennie: “Eddie Reader, MBE, is two years older that Susan and, although never a WW star is a very well regarded Scottish, singer/songwriter/musician who has had a 30 year, plus, international career. That "wow" is a real compliment from a fellow artist. And I know Susan would be "not half chuffed" if she ever hears of it. Hope they meet back stage.”
    • A comment from native Scotsman, Wullawonta: “I can certainly say that having the fantastic Eddi Reader saying Wow after hearing Susan is probably THE best compliment she has had from a Scottish Artist of Eddi's calibre. We have been to an Eddi Reader Concert and have a few CD's of her. Susan should be VERY proud.”

May 25, Thursday: Celtic’s 50-year Anniversary Gala at Glasgow’s Hydro
    1. At The SSE Hydro in Glasgow, the Celtic’s Lisbon Lions celebrated “50 years to the day since Celts became the first British club to lift the European Cup”. Rod Steward, Chilli Pipers, Elaine C Smith, and Susan Boyle were among the celebrities who performed at the anniversary celebrations. Tickets for the event sold-out the first day they were available. Susan wore a blue-green performance gown and sang “I Dreamed A Dream.”
    • CandianBill’s commemorative poster of Susan Boyle in performance mode:
    http://forum.susan-boyle.com/threads...=1#post1087547
    • The 2:42-minute video of her performance was posted on YouTube by Stephanie Kelly, “Champions 67 hydro - Susan Boyle”. https://youtu.be/Nx0uht5PAlc

2. Thescottishsun.co.uk posted “TAKE A BOW: Celtic stars and fans salute Lisbon Lions with spectacular Hydro show 50 years after historic 1967 triumph” by David Friel and Derek McGregor. A few highlights:
    “A GALAXY of stars rocked the Hydro at a glitzy bash celebrating the 50th anniversary of Celtic’s Lisbon Lions. They took to the stage to perform to a sold-out crowd of Hoops fans in honour of the first British team to win the European Cup. Celtic fans Sir Rod Stewart and Susan Boyle thrilled the crowd while a host of former Celtic heroes had the 13,000 crowd in raptures as they spoke of their love for the Lions.
    “Event host Elaine C Smith told how it was the “perfect night” to remember one of the “greatest football stories ever told” before leading a minute’s applause in tribute to the victims of the Manchester terror attack.
    “Susan Boyle received a standing ovation and cheers of “Subo” after getting the concert underway with a rendition of her hit song I Dreamed A Dream. The singer, 56, wore an Emerald green lace dress and performed to a backdrop of footage of the Lisbon Lions, many of whom sat on the stage.”

3. Various comments from the internet:
    • “7 cameras for @CelticTV - Lisbon Lions Charity event- Rod Stewart, chilli Pipers, Bay City Rollers, Susan Boyle, lots more!!!” https://twitter.com/Hi_satbroadcast/...00552977170432
    • Celtic Football Club: “@TheSSEHydro is filling up nicely for Celebrate '67! #Lisboa50”
    • Celtic Football Club‏:” @SusanBoyleHQ is ready backstage at @TheSSEHydro for her live Celebrate '67 performance! #Lisboa50” https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DAsUqF7XYAALje0.jpg
    • From a journalist for the Evening Times: “I am inside the Hydro and can say Martin Compston, Susan Boyle and Elaine C Smith are among the celebrity guests.” And “Susan Boyle has taken to the stage! I'm filing for paper but this is a wonderful event so far that Celtic have organise for #celtic67 https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DAsdIe3WAAAE__t.jpg
    • “Susan Boyle sang I dreamed a dream, I can die a happy man.” https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DAseG8UXYAAZGkK.jpg
    • “What a performance from Susan Boyle! #Lisboa50”
    • “Great night at hydro last night cldnae believe how good a singer subo is!” https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DAvQQHbXcAAloSo.jpg
    • “Susan Boyle, owning The Hydro, Glasgow...” https://www.instagram.com/p/BUhssc9h...ESxCPuOh6Ezg0/
    • “Goosebumps!! Great rendition 'I dream a dream' #SusanBoyle”
    • “With the lovely Susan Boyle!!! Sweetheart! @ The SSE Hydro” https://instagram.com/p/BUiEhUwAea6/
    • From a teenager in the audience: “Genuine was nearly crying at Susan Boyle singing tonight, was sat thinking wtf is wrong way me.”
    • From a player’s agent: “Subo is ready to play new striker I am bringing in, that Ghirl can sing!”
    • “The Missus and the lovely @SusanBoyleHQ wishing @celticfc all the luck of the day.” https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DA0zNDwXkAEJE4D.jpg

May 26, Friday
    1. Posted on Facebook by Frox Of Falkirk Ltd: “The amazingly talented Susan Boyle came to Frox to find the perfect dress for opening yesterday's concert for the Lisbon Lions 50th anniversary! She is such a lovely person, and we think she looked fab! Thank you for visiting us, Susan! Xx”

May 27, Saturday: Highland Games in Bathgate

1. Susan attended The Highland Games in Bathgate; she was the ceremonial Chieftain at the 2014 Games.
    • Posted on Facebook: “Susan Boyle took great pleasure in learning about the Regiment and speaking to members of 278 (Lowland) Battery.”
    • From Instagram: “When you're paying the bill at the B&B and Miss Boyle walks in! #metalleeka #metallicatribute ......” https://instagram.com/p/BUlwR5ZluFT/

2. Pressandjournal.co.uk posted “Susan Boyle: ‘I’ve learned lessons along the way. Don’t Google yourself, for instance’” by Neil Drysdale. Some highlights from the extended report:
    • “As she told the Press and Journal about her remarkable journey since she astonished the judges, during “Britain’s Got Talent” after applying for an audition in 2008, one or two things became obvious.
    “Firstly, success hasn’t remotely gone to her head. On the contrary, she still seems in thrall to singing, the Tinseltown nature of showbusiness and meeting people whose posters used to adorn her walls in Blackburn, the mining community where she grew up in the 1960s and 1970s.
    “And secondly, she has shown a remarkable pragmatism about those who have decried her success, arguing quite correctly she knew what they were thinking when she first appeared on stage in front of the initially sceptical BGT audience and adopted the philosophy: ‘All that mattered was that I could sing. It wasn’t a beauty contest.’”
    • “Susan might have had to wait for her success, but when it arrived, it was phenomenal. This is the woman whose story has been made into a stage show (and possibly a film): who performed for Pope Benedict XVI on his tour of Britain in 2010; and who was subsequently voted by Time magazine as the seventh most influential person in the whole world. That sort of acclaim would overwhelm most of us, so how has Susan coped with the constant media attention and incessant popping of flashbulbs wherever she travels?
    She pondered the question for a moment. Then she replied: ‘The critics thought I was going to be a flash in the pan, but with a great team around me and a brilliant record label (Syco), I am still going. Even I sometimes have to pinch myself to believe it. I’ve learned some lessons along the way. Don’t Google yourself, for instance. And be yourself, warts and all. Listen to the team around you, take their advice, and, above all, enjoy it as much as possible. Yes, it’s a great industry to work in and I truly am living my dream, but it’s not all glitz and glam, it is hard work, and you just have to step up to the plate and get on with it. Once you are up there in front of the microphone, nobody else can do the job for you, it’s in your own hands. But the benefits far outweigh any negatives and I get to stand on stage and sing to people, which is all I ever wanted to do from the start.’”
    • “At the Glamis Prom, she will be the headline act, in the company of people such as Lee Mead and American virtuoso Christina Bianco. But although she is accustomed to gracing grand events, Susan admitted the butterflies are never far away before she starts to sing.
    “She explained: ‘I have always said you need nerves to focus yourself on the day of a performance. They are good nerves which ensure you do the very best you possibly can. But I always worry before a performance, more about ensuring that I give my very best, so the audience enjoys it. There is something unique and incredibly special about appearing in front of a Scottish audience, you can feel the support and, as an artist, there is nothing better than a standing ovation, so I am hoping to achieve that again this year. You know you have done a good job when you get that. Scots don’t fake their emotions. If they stand up at the end, it means they liked it!’”
    • “Her albums have sold more than 20 million copies and talks are continuing about a movie of her life. If Susan decided – at 56 – that she wanted to relax and escape from the limelight, it would be understandable. But this is the tough-as-teak individual whose theme song is “I Dreamed a Dream”. Having advanced into her fifth decade before her gift was recognised, Susan is in no mood to slow down any time soon.
    As she said: ‘The future? I would like to carry on performing and recording more albums and doing new things. I definitely want to include some more uptempo songs and even get involved in rock. Why not?’”
    https://www.pressandjournal.co.uk/fp...ogle-instance/

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    The revised editions of my books, Susan Boyle, Professional Singer, by 15 six-month periods covering July 1, 2009 through December 31, 2016 are now available as Kindle e-Books only at Amazon, just $6.85 per eBook. They are inter-active books with the text acting as a “tour guide” with the active links to the best YouTube video and/or audio that are available of many of Susan's performances and/or interviews.
    Last edited by LucyB; 05-28-2017, 05:50 AM. Reason: change link

Thank you for your faithfulness and dedication.

Comment

Thank you so much, LucyB. A huge amount of information in this week's summary.

You who think yourself young, just have a look at this woman, she has kept a heart of gold and a pure soul … (French commentator)

Please support your Forum: You may buy anything from Amazon through the SuboStore by clicking on "Shopping" (light-blue banner at top of page).

Comment

Thanks, Lucy, for all your work and dedication. This was SOME week, wasn't it!

Comment

That was quite a week for Susan and we SusaFans....thanks LucyB, lots to report on this last week.

Comment

Thanks Lucy, a good week with a great performance and publicity
            Treat every person with kindness and respect, even those who are rude to you. Remember that you show compassion to others not because of who they are but because of who you are.
            Author: Andrew T. Somers

Support your Forum: shop SuBo store, "Shopping" -- light blue banner at the top of the page

Comment

Working...
            X