Shop

Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Have Read Whole BookTWIWBTB BookDiscussion Thread-Don't peek if you have not read it

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Have Read Whole BookTWIWBTB BookDiscussion Thread-Don't peek if you have not read it

HaveRead Whole BookTWIWBTB BookDiscussion Thread-Don't peak if you have not read it

The Woman I Was Born To Be by Susan Boyle is a great book.

I won't say anything more than that in this first post.

Please don't scroll down and peak if you have not read Susan's autobiography.

I don't want to spoil it for you.

This is the cover page post.

Last edited by Hampsong-Ohio; 10-10-2010, 08:50 PM.

The Priory chapter disturbs me. Did it upset you too?

Comment

Originally posted by Hampsong-Ohio View Post
      have not read it yet but I will tell you what i think when i have
      sigpic"

Caveat: All opinions expressed are in my humble opinion unless stated otherwise.

Comment

Hope all the focus is not on priory! It upsets me that this was the first comment to come out after reading the book, when Susan doesn't focus on this time much at all. The book is so much more than the priory

Comment

As I mentioned in my review, it was one of the chapters that disturbed me the most. Even though Susan agreed to go, she didn't know what the Priory was. Once she got there, she knew that it was a mental hospital and wanted no part of it, and memories of her Uncle Michael started in. You could just feel her panic and fear. I think she thought she was going to be locked in there forever, just like him. The fact that no one would tell her anything and she wasn't allowed to phone out was horrible. When she said she was never so afraid in her life, I know she meant it. It chilled me to the bone. All this time, we thought she was getting treatment.

The bit about the "shopping therapy" with the beautiful doctor later on so the press could "witness her recovery" was a slap back at them I think. So was her final statement, "so there are are".

Comment

Originally posted by elang View Post
            Hope all the focus is not on priory! It upsets me that this was the first comment to come out after reading the book, when Susan doesn't focus on this time much at all. The book is so much more than the priory
            OK, I'm sorry that that's the first thing I brought up.

If we want to talk about the way Susan was treated at Priory, then is it OK if we post about it only in the following thread about Chapter 28, 29, 30?:

Or maybe discuss it by Personal Messages.

http://forum.susan-boyle.com/threads...cussion-Thread
            Last edited by Hampsong-Ohio; 10-11-2010, 12:27 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by corkie View Post
              As I mentioned in my review, it was one of the chapters that disturbed me the most. Even though Susan agreed to go, she didn't know what the Priory was. Once she got there, she knew that it was a mental hospital and wanted no part of it, and memories of her Uncle Michael started in. You could just feel her panic and fear. I think she thought she was going to be locked in there forever, just like him. The fact that no one would tell her anything and she wasn't allowed to phone out was horrible. When she said she was never so afraid in her life, I know she meant it. It chilled me to the bone. All this time, we thought she was getting treatment.

The bit about the "shopping therapy" with the beautiful doctor later on so the press could "witness her recovery" was a slap back at them I think. So was her final statement, "so there are are".
              Well, I haven't read it yet, but I knew that was it. As soon as I learned on Amazon that she had an Uncle Michael with mental illness, I knew the Priory was going to be harrowing.

Now we know why, in the film clip shown before AGT, Susan screwed up her eyes in pain before she could force out the word clinic. By what right did they refuse her a telephone call? BGT was skating on very thin legal ice.

Comment

Originally posted by elang View Post
                I'm sorry too. It was just a chapter that shocked me more than anything else, and I wouldn't intend to focus on this at all. And, you're right, Susan didn't dwell on it -- and that's not where the inspiration comes from in this book.

Comment

Originally posted by corkie View Post

trennie
                  Well, I haven't read it yet, but I knew that was it. As soon as I learned on Amazon that she had an Uncle Michael with mental illness, I knew the Priory was going to be harrowing.

Now we know why, in the film clip shown before AGT, Susan screwed up her eyes in pain before she could force out the word clinic. By what right did they refuse her a telephone call? BGT was skating on very thin legal ice.

That was a chilling chapter to read. Susan has visited her Uncle Michael who resided in a mental institution for many years and she recalls visiting him there. (He did spent the last years of his life at Susan's home. )

To me the sadest photo of Susan was the one taken in the car with the bouquet of flowers. In Susan's words, "Flowers, whose purpose had been to celebrate and wish me well were now being used to hide me." "I wasn't mental. I tried to explain that to the doctors, but they didn't seem to want to know." "I didn't even know if anyone knew I was there. I thought I was locked up and they were going to keep me indefinitely. Igt was the most terrifying thing that has ever happened to me in my entire life."

Now we know, trennie, without any doubt , why she made that facial expression when she said the word "clinic". You could see the agony in her face. I don't know who was responsible for her going to the clinic, but whoever it was did her no favor and gave the press a field day. To this day, one of the first things people who don't really know her story refer to her as having had a mental breakdown. Yeh, and it was so bad that she got over it in 3 days.
                  http://gratefulness.org/light-a-candle

"No act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted." Aesop

Comment

Originally posted by Marie Jean View Post
                    That was a chilling chapter to read. Susan has visited her Uncle Michael who resided in a mental institution for many years and she recalls visiting him there. (He did spent the last years of his life at Susan's home. )

To me the sadest photo of Susan was the one taken in the car with the bouquet of flowers. In Susan's words, "Flowers, whose purpose had been to celebrate and wish me well were now being used to hide me." "I wasn't mental. I tried to explain that to the doctors, but they didn't seem to want to know." "I didn't even know if anyone knew I was there. I thought I was locked up and they were going to keep me indefinitely. Igt was the most terrifying thing that has ever happened to me in my entire life."

Now we know, trennie, without any doubt , why she made that facial expression when she said the word "clinic". You could see the agony in her face. I don't know who was responsible for her going to the clinic, but whoever it was did her no favor and gave the press a field day. To this day, one of the first things people who don't really know her story refer to her as having had a mental breakdown. Yeh, and it was so bad that she got over it in 3 days.
                    Simon sent her to the Priory and he was paying for it, so I assume he was giving the orders. IMO BGT was scared out of their wits when Susan collapsed. She was an international sensation and they thought they'd destroyed her. Amanda said Simon was devastated. I just bet he was. They wanted to sweep Susan under the rug until they could figure out what to do. I bet Kirsty Foy, who was at the Finals was on the phone to Simon's office as soon as she heard. Thanks to Susan's resilience she snapped back, but no thanks to anybody connected with the show.

The next day Simon told Piers to call her. I think to assess her state of mind and what she was likely to say and to cheer her up and tell her Simon would make an album with her. Susan insisted on hearing that from Simon himself. Susan knew who pulled the strings. Was that when she stopped calling him Simon and has called him Mr. Cowell ever since?

This is just from media reports at the time. I wonder what Susan says about it. I suspect she will be careful.

Comment

Yes this was very sad and frightening for Susan especially since she knew how Michael's life had been. I'm not sure they knew what to do with her. I guess we will never hear their ( whoever they are) logic for taking her there. She would have been better served speaking to a doctor or counselor and then being taken somewhere she could get the rest she needed. I didn't know you could be held against your will and not be able to make any phone calls. I'd be mad too. No wonder she felt so alone. She finally got her point across and left.

Comment

Originally posted by riseandshine View Post
                        Yes this was very sad and frightening for Susan especially since she knew how Michael's life had been. I'm not sure they knew what to do with her. I guess we will never hear their ( whoever they are) logic for taking her there. She would have been better served speaking to a doctor or counselor and then being taken somewhere she could get the rest she needed. I didn't know you could be held against your will and not be able to make any phone calls. I'd be mad too. No wonder she felt so alone. She finally got her point across and left.
                        I have not read the book yet, but I think to dwell on the pain of the priory is not what Susan would want. It is over with. It was a terrible decision made by people who knew nothing about her or her history. To me, from reading comments, it is one more sign of this amazing woman's resiliance, courage, and ability to forgive and move on.
                        sigpic"There will always be plenty of people who will give up on you. No need to give up on yourself" Susan Boyle

Comment

Originally posted by cac1936 View Post
                          I have not read the book yet, but I think to dwell on the pain of the priory is not what Susan would want. It is over with. It was a terrible decision made by people who knew nothing about her or her history. To me, from reading comments, it is one more sign of this amazing woman's resiliance, courage, and ability to forgive and move on.
                          OK, I'm sorry that that's the first thing I brought up.

If we want to talk about the way Susan was treated at Priory, then is it OK if we post about it only in the following thread about Chapter 28, 29, 30?:

http://forum.susan-boyle.com/threads...cussion-Thread
                          The link to discuss Chapter 30 Priory is above. Please use it so people who don't want to discuss the way Susan was treated at The Priory can read this thread. Is that OK?

Comment

i'm not dwelling on it. I just made a comment to the discussion on this thread. It is in susan's book and it was a very traumatic time for her and I found it interesting that she said she should not have been there. The Priory was not the "health spa" for stars that is was portrayed to be at the time.
                            This is a thread for those who have read the book and someone here wanted to discuss it and I was happy to add my thoughts.

Comment

I haven't read it yet, Glad she was there a short time. I am glad she put it all out there for all to understand. She really is a very courageous woman. I know it was frightening to her and glad she is in a much better place now!

Comment

Working...
                              X