Review of The Woman I Was Born To Be

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Review of The Woman I Was Born To Be

Well, I finished Susan's book. It's possible to finish it in a day if you're a fast reader and you don't stop for anything.

I'm not going into any details, because I don't want to spoil anything for the rest of you, but it was even better than I expected -- and I expected a lot. I thought it was well written, but still found a couple typo's.

I laughed a lot. Susan has a unique way of telling things that just make a person burst out laughing. She also picked out some of the darnest things to put into the book. Even when I think about them now, I have to giggle. I think Piers will have a hearty laugh or two also!

Her honesty amazes me. I don't know if I could go into so much about my life. She answered questions we had wondered about. She wrote about things we never even knew about. There were still some things she left unsaid -- and that's just fine.

While I was reading I'd be giggling, then there were times I couldn't see the words on the pages because my eyes were so teary. I'll admit a few times I had to put the book aside to cry. There were bits from her childhood and a chapter about the Priory which particulary upset me. When I finally finished the book and went to bed, I didn't sleep very well. It was like I'd seen a very emotional movie and hadn't completely wound down yet. Every time I woke up, I woke up very emotional and weepy -- but then I'm an emotional person.

And -- she loves us!! She makes that perfectly clear. She even makes mention of the "pollster" fans and our efforts on her behalf (and we didn't think she noticed)! She also mentions how thrilled she is with all the gifts she receives and, of course, the wonderful quilt which I think she will treasure forever. The pictures in the book are wonderful.

I imagine this book will hit every person differently because of our different life experiences.
    It affected me deeply. Susan's unbending faith in God is unbelieveable and her determination and courage when she is absolutely terrified is amazing. I don't see how anyone can read this book and not fall in love with her (or more in love with her). It will be fun to discuss it once everyone has read it.

Corkie, I think your review is perfect . You gave nothing away but certainly tantalized us. Thanks so much for doing this.

Comment

Thanks so much Corkie, as Kangamouse said you said just enough to leave us wanting more, roll on next week,

Comment

Aww, thanks for your wonderful review.
        I must say though, the wait is now going to be even more unbearable.

Comment

Thanks so much for the review, corkie. After all that you said, I am looking forward even more now to the book.

Comment

Corkie, your review has me in tears, so what will the book do to me???!!!

Comment

I want that book and i want it NOW!
              sigpic"

Caveat: All opinions expressed are in my humble opinion unless stated otherwise.

Comment

Originally posted by Fran M. View Post
                Corkie, your review has me in tears, so what will the book do to me???!!!
                Those were my thoughts too.

Comment

Originally posted by terijay7 View Post
                  I want that book and i want it NOW!
                  Me two!!!!
                  sigpic"There will always be plenty of people who will give up on you. No need to give up on yourself" Susan Boyle

Comment

Oh I cannot wait to buy this book. I am the kind of person to sit down and read from beginning to end, I do not skip to the end to find the answers. Also, I love re-reading books, and I always find something new each time I do read a book.

Comment

Thank you corkie. I very much hope that Susan’s book will be in my mailbox very soon. Why not the day before yesterday ? EEK!:rolleyes:

Comment

Originally posted by Sassyone View Post
                        Oh I cannot wait to buy this book. I am the kind of person to sit down and read from beginning to end, I do not skip to the end to find the answers. Also, I love re-reading books, and I always find something new each time I do read a book.
                        My very fave books are about famous people - I just finished reading Ann Margret's autobiography- and I had read it before, about a year ago. Books like these do not have plots like fiction does, and so i re-read bios and auto-bios all the time.
                        sigpic"

Caveat: All opinions expressed are in my humble opinion unless stated otherwise.

Comment

Thank you Corkie, for that beautiful review. I just can't wait to start reading this book. It seems like it will be better than all our other Susa-treasures rolled into one ... the stories and pictures of Susan's life, the thoughts of her heart ... all told in Susan's own words. A gift to be cherished for the rest of our days.

You who think yourself young, just have a look at this woman, she has kept a heart of gold and a pure soul … (French commentator)

Please support your Forum: You may buy anything from Amazon through the SuboStore by clicking on "Shopping" (light-blue banner at top of page).

Comment

Wow Corkie ! A wonderful review. Thank you.
                            sigpic“Music produces a kind of pleasure which human nature cannot do without.” -Confucius

Comment

Originally posted by corkie View Post
                              Well, I finished Susan's book. It's possible to finish it in a day if you're a fast reader and you don't stop for anything.

I'm not going into any details, because I don't want to spoil anything for the rest of you, but it was even better than I expected -- and I expected a lot. I thought it was well written, but still found a couple typo's.

I laughed a lot. Susan has a unique way of telling things that just make a person burst out laughing. She also picked out some of the darnest things to put into the book. Even when I think about them now, I have to giggle. I think Piers will have a hearty laugh or two also!

Her honesty amazes me. I don't know if I could go into so much about my life. She answered questions we had wondered about. She wrote about things we never even knew about. There were still some things she left unsaid -- and that's just fine.

While I was reading I'd be giggling, then there were times I couldn't see the words on the pages because my eyes were so teary. I'll admit a few times I had to put the book aside to cry. There were bits from her childhood and a chapter about the Priory which particulary upset me. When I finally finished the book and went to bed, I didn't sleep very well. It was like I'd seen a very emotional movie and hadn't completely wound down yet. Every time I woke up, I woke up very emotional and weepy -- but then I'm an emotional person.

And -- she loves us!! She makes that perfectly clear. She even makes mention of the "pollster" fans and our efforts on her behalf (and we didn't think she noticed)! She also mentions how thrilled she is with all the gifts she receives and, of course, the wonderful quilt which I think she will treasure forever. The pictures in the book are wonderful.

I imagine this book will hit every person differently because of our different life experiences.
                              It affected me deeply. Susan's unbending faith in God is unbelieveable and her determination and courage when she is absolutely terrified is amazing. I don't see how anyone can read this book and not fall in love with her (or more in love with her). It will be fun to discuss it once everyone has read it.
                              Everybody, I feel compelled to say that "unbelievable" is WONDERFUL, AMAZING, like WOW! LOL To some it might seem like a negative, but it's very much a positive. :-)

Corkie, thanks for your wonderful review. Where did you get the book to read?

Evie
                              Celebrating Susan Boyle sigpic
                              Beloved professional singer of world renown!!
                              "...I am who I was born to be." Edinburgh Festival Theatre 28 Sept 12

Comment

Working...
                              X